Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmorton89

Looking for advice for sod cutter operation

mmorton89
9 years ago

Hello! So my lawn is very uneven and lumpy. I considered just buying new sod and redoing the lawn but blue grass in my area costs ~0.50 cents a square foot and just my front lawn alone is about 1600 square feet. So that is way out of my budget range.
After doing a bunch of googling, I learned that you can reuse sod if it is in good condition and is cut out cleanly. So I went to a Sunbelt Rentals and rented a sod cutter for 100 bucks. Unfortunately the guys at the rental place did not tell me it was too wet to cut sod that day and let me rent the tool anyways. After an hour or two I gave up and took the loss and brought the sod cutter back.

This was yesterday (5/2/14) and it has not rained yet since then, but my yard seems like it is still too moist to cut.

My main questions are, how long will it take to dry out and how dry does it need to be for the sod cutter to work?

It might rain later this week and I want to do it before then, but I do not want to rent a sod cutter again if it wont work, considering its a 100 dollar per day rental.

I am very new to lawn care and landscaping, the only experience I have with lawns is cutting my fathers grass when I was in high school lol. After wasting a bunch of money yesterday, I want to make sure everything will work the way I have it planned before blowing even more money on this project.

Thanks for your time!
Mike

Comments (2)