Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sawdust in mulch?

Posted by wolf29 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:58

Hi. On our front lawn we have areas that are mulched and we just recently laid down some new mulch we got from Lowes (in bags) as we've done every spring.

We've noticed what for lack of a better term looks like puffs of sawdust popping up throughout the mulch which weren't there when I laid it down.

Any ideas what it is and how it's getting there? I don't see any insects within those puffs milling about but they could be underneath I suppose, but I'm at a loss as to how they are forming and what they actually are.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sawdust in mulch?

Fungus... puffs of 'smoke' when disturbed are spores.

Congrats - you are now officially a composter ;-)

o
RE: Sawdust in mulch?

It's probably a slime mold.

!00% normal where you have a lot of wood chips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here