Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
icedgoblin

Missed patches or over feed?

icedgoblin
10 years ago

Hello all

Firstly I appreciate you reading this and any advice or help you may offer.
I am a gardening amateur since we have recently mo ved into a house with a garden from an apartment. The lawn was looking a bit shabby after the winter so I went about reviving it. It appeared a bit compacted so I went through the arduous task of hollow tining it manually. There were a fair amount of weeds and moss and not knowing any better I thought it best to apply Evergreen 4 in 1, after all if it did what it said on the tin then I would be sorted. Further reading suggest that this is probably not the best process to follow I.e. weed and feed separately.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I did apply the said product On the whole the lawn did start growing rapidly, got a lot greener and much thicker. I am mowing to 40mm each week as it is growing so fast that staying within the one third guidelines for mowing I would have to mow every 3 days.

I have however started to notice what I think are yellow patches. Looking on other forums some recon these are just lighter patches that have been missed when applying the product, but if I look carefully and closely there are definite yellow blades of grass.

If you look at the included picture and those in the link provided, you may say that the yellow patches follow distinct lines but I think this is emphasised by the mowing yesterday, with a mower that has a roller. I have tried to take a few close ups of the yellow patches for comparison.

My question really is to the experts, would you say that I have missed these patches or have I over applied the product or the included herbicide had an adverse affect in the grass.

Either way, any recommendations on a resolution would be appreciated. I thought if it were missed patches, perhaps I could apply a plain lawn fertiliser after a 6 - 8 week period as to avoid any over feeding. If it had been over fed then obviously not applying anything further is probably the way to go with perhaps over watering the yellow patches.

I thought maybe do a patch test, select two smaller patches, apply product to one and then just water the other one while observing the lawn on the whole.

Link to high resolution images is: -

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=13ACA213065915D1!103&authkey=!AEnSUF42BcRN6EQ

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Geoff

Comment (1)