Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Killing veronica/speedwell?

Posted by arcas z6 KY (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 15:17

Veronica/speedwell is slowly taking hold in my yard. I've tried pulling it up but it's outpacing me. Seems every other day I pull up about a half-gallon's worth as measured by my weed bucket.

It's time to escalate. So far I've tried both Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max and Bayer Advanced All-In-One weedkiller using a pump sprayer. It seems like speedwell actually thrives on the Ortho spray. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that it contained fertilizer instead.

After several applications of the Bayer spray at the recommended concentration, the speedwell turns slightly yellow but the yellowed plants return to green if I go more than a week between sprays. On a whim, I poured about a tablespoon of Bayer at full strength on a small cluster of speedwell and it indeed killed it but I obviously cannot do this over the entire yard.

My question: what is available to homeowners that can effectively control this weed? I've read that dithiopyr and isoxaben are both effective but I haven't found anything at the local home center or farm store that contains them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Killing veronica/speedwell?

Products with 8% Triclopyr will work, but it may take as many as 4 treatments to really get it done. Yes, the products that you've used (check them!) have 1.5% Triclopyr in them, but ground ivy and speedwells laugh at that concentration. You'll find that Ortho's Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer as well as Ortho's Brush-B-Gon Poison Ivy Killer both contain the 8% Triclopyr needed. Treatments should be about 10-14 days apart. Stay on schedule - a late treatment will send you back to the starting line (it recovers too much).

o

I have this same problem and appreciate your advice Andy! I had put on Weed-B-Gone just over a week ago and it didn't do squat. Today, by chance, I went over all of my speedwell with Ortho's Chickweek, Clover and Oxalis Killer. I now have it on my schedule to keep doing it every 10 days or so.

o

Kinda late I know, but I had the same issue, and the same results with WBG. I dug into the topic some and found that mecoprop is about the best type of herbicide you can use on speedwell. Fortunately I stumbled across Speedzone (5.8% or so) of MCPP and it really knocked that speedwell for a loop. After just a couple of days I had upwards of 70% turning brown and withering. By the end of two weeks all the speedwell I had sprayed was dead.

Of course it grows so low to the ground that I've still got some popping up, but I'll get to it. I can definately tell that the lawn likes it because those areas where I've beaten the speedwell back in, the grass is growing much better.

Dave

o

Our very large lawn is being taken over more every year by veronica. I read with interest the spray suggestions, but we have two dogs. Is there anything that can help that will not be harmful to the dogs? ( We have about an acre of lawn )

o

Is spot spraying the lawn, and then just taking your dogs for a walk in the neighborhood for the next week an option?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here