Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rtf

Posted by CPTK 66441 (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 15:34

Has anyone seen a scientific study that supports the claim that rhizomatous tall fescue is actually rhizomatous? I've seen more than one online blogger claim that it does not spread--at all. One did a test in which he made three 1 sq ft plots--one was KBG, one was RTF, and one was regular TTF. He used a coffee can and roundup to make a hole in each plot. After one season the KBG had completely filled in the hole. The RTF and TTF had not filled in the hole at all. The RTF behaved no different from the TTF.

It was a very convincing experiment. On the other hand, though, some very reputable organizations--like Universities--are behinds these claims.

I went to a local garden center and the only RTF they had was mixed with KBG, which seems rather convenient to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rtf

Where are you located? Zip code works best.

o

• Posted by CPTK 66441 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 23, 14 at 16:48

1. My zip code is in the original message.

2. My zip code is irrelevant to the question. Anyway, I did some more research myself, and the general consensus out there, both from scientific studies and personal experimentation, is that RTF is a sham.

o

Location is almost never irrelevant to lawn questions. You might think it was in this case, but I suspect auteck had another angle he was thinking.

Thanks for doing the extra research. I've just now heard of the RTF fescues, so it's good to know what they are and are not.

o

Yes, I find the issue of RTF very interesting because I actually found a scientific study that concluded that RTF does not form rhizomes anymore than regular TTTF. (I also learned from reading that study that TTTF actually does produce some short rhizomes in very small numbers.) The blogger's experiment was also very well done and showed no spread from the RTF. Yet the claims persist in full force.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here