Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing dead areas in lawn

Posted by slow-poke 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 15:59

What is the best way to remove large areas of dead lawn grass to prep for new turf? The largest area is about 200 sf and there are several smaller areas. Would a rototiller followed by raking up the mess be best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing dead areas in lawn

Not at all. Never rototill in preparation for turf. Three years later you'll have the bumpiest lawn in the neighborhood. It never settles evenly.

Just hoe or scrape it off.

Why is the grass dead? If you don't fix the problem it will die again. Is shade an issue? Watering? Flooding?

o

You do not need to remove the base of the grass and expose bare soil for re-planting.If raking with a leaf rake will get the dead blades to stand, rake and then scalp the area with your mower. Take care that you don't ground the mower blade.
If that won't work, an alternative is to rent a power vertical rake or just do it manually as previously recommended.

o

Thanks both for the replies. The large dead area was inadvertently killed with Roundup when an unexpected wind shift came up as I was murdering some weeds along the edge of the lawn last year. I expect the Roundup is no longer viable now.

The rake-and-mow-short suggestion will not work here, also I think I would then have a ridge where the new turf ends and the existing lawn still shows.

Were I to rototill the area, of course it would need to be treated as a new installation, with grading, raking and rolling to establish smooth and flowing contours while maintaining drainage.

Maybe I'll go to my friendly local rental store to see what sort of weapons the can arm me with.

o

You sound like a Tim Allen sort of guy. :)

o

As long as you don't compare me to Bob Vealchop, er, Vila from This Old House.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here