Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wingz991

Lawn assistance - Not sure where to start

Wingz991
10 years ago

Hi all,

I've read a ton on this site, and feeling a bit overwhelmed and in need of some guidance. Already figured out several things I was doing wrong, especially in regard to watering too frequently (irrigation system).

Anyway, lawn has been a mess for quite a few years, but getting progressively worse (live in Chicago 'burbs). It is green from a distance (light green) just not thick and healthy. The closer you get, the worse it looks. You can see a straight line between my lawn and my neighbor's, deep green on his side and light green (and increasingly whiter) on mine. Usually use the Scott's step system and aerate regularly. Been dethatched a couple times in past few years as well (although I question my landscaper's hurried pace). Sent in soil test today and will post results when received for interpretation. Dug about 15-20 holes for soil test, and found 2 grubs. Landscaper said if grubs were the problem, the grass would pull out like clumps of hair with little resistance, which it does not do. However, I'm not sure he knows much more than how to mow???

I have not done anything yet this year (due to monsoon conditions) except for spot spraying dandelions and was determined to hold off for results from soil test. I am open to any advice and options or programs.

Is this merely a bad thatch problem? Any ideas or just completely hold off until soil test results come in?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments (2)