Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeds in Floratam St. Augustinegrass

Posted by pinfish Florida panhandle (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 16:11

I live in Panhandle of Florida. I bought a home last fall that was built in 1979. Existing grass is Floratam St. Augustinegrass. The yard is large and was neglected. Back yard was ok. Front yard is a mess. When I bought the house I was overwatering the lawn - had not done my homework. Overwater lead to fungus which I treated and got rid of. I hired a large Weed Control company over the winter and spring. The yard looks worse now than last fall. The weed control co said they applied a pre-emergent. Largest problems: yellow nutsedge and goosegrass, and to a lesser degree dollar grass. (I think- looks more like goosegrass than crabgrass). It's now the end of May and temps are upper 80's. I have cut back on watering to every 5-7 days. Now mowing the grass high. What can I do now that the temps are higher to kill the yellow nutsedge / goosegrass / dollarweed. I can dig up some of the gooseweed and cover these areas with sand - will take forever! Could sray the center of the gooseweed with round up and then dig them up. What about the other weeds. Can I spot treat the area with Image or sedgehammer without killing the grass. HELP!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeds in Floratam St. Augustinegrass

The goosegrass and dollar weed are most important because they will choke out the St Aug. Spray them with Weed-B-Gone formulated for St Augustine. Ask for the right one at the nursery. That product should not hurt the grass.

Sledgehammer for the nutgrass might help. Just going to weekly watering will help because nutgrass likes it really wet. Mowing higher might help. Around San Antonio the new recommendation for nutgrass is to spray molasses on it. They say 1/4 cup per gallon, spray the leaves and drench the soil. Molasses always has to do with the microbes in the soil, but I don't know what they might be thinking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here