Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinfish_gw

Weeds in Floratam St. Augustinegrass

pinfish
14 years ago

I live in Panhandle of Florida. I bought a home last fall that was built in 1979. Existing grass is Floratam St. Augustinegrass. The yard is large and was neglected. Back yard was ok. Front yard is a mess. When I bought the house I was overwatering the lawn - had not done my homework. Overwater lead to fungus which I treated and got rid of. I hired a large Weed Control company over the winter and spring. The yard looks worse now than last fall. The weed control co said they applied a pre-emergent. Largest problems: yellow nutsedge and goosegrass, and to a lesser degree dollar grass. (I think- looks more like goosegrass than crabgrass). It's now the end of May and temps are upper 80's. I have cut back on watering to every 5-7 days. Now mowing the grass high. What can I do now that the temps are higher to kill the yellow nutsedge / goosegrass / dollarweed. I can dig up some of the gooseweed and cover these areas with sand - will take forever! Could sray the center of the gooseweed with round up and then dig them up. What about the other weeds. Can I spot treat the area with Image or sedgehammer without killing the grass. HELP!!!

Comment (1)