Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with new Lawn

Posted by zbond007 West Texas (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 16:38

Last year, I tilled my yard and planted a bermuda grass that I was told it was Yukon when I bought it but ended up finding out that it was transcontinental and it doesn't look or feel the way I want it to. It has covered most of the yard but can't be mowed as low as I want. I will be replacing that with either Tifway 419 sod or Laprima XD seed. My question is, do I need to kill the bermuda grass before I cut it out with a sod cutter since it is only a year old. The roots go down about 5 or 6 inches in some areas. Or, will cutting out the new bermuda be enough. Any other good tips would be appreciated. Maybe, alternatives to what I am planning. Thanks for your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with new Lawn

If you want it to look like Tif 419, then you need to get Tif 419. Nothing you can get in a seed looks like that.

If you don't want a mixed looking lawn, then you need to kill the common variety you already planted.

Where do you live? West Texas is bigger than most people think.

By the way, don't till again in prep for grass - especially for bermuda. The soil will continue to settle unevenly for 3 years leaving you with a bumpy surface.

o

I live in Lubbock, TX. And I will not be tilling again. I have began the process of killing the bermuda with round up and I will level the ground with sand. Then I will seed with Princess 77. And top that off by rolling and putting peet moss on top of it. Let me know if this sounds good. Thanks

o

I live in Lubbock, TX. And I will not be tilling again. I have began the process of killing the bermuda with round up and I will level the ground with sand. Then I will seed with Princess 77. And top that off by rolling and putting peet moss on top of it. Let me know if this sounds good. Thanks

o

I converted my front yard from common Bermuda to Princess77 several years ago. My plan was a lot like yours. RU on the common, a dethatcher/flail rake to remove the dead grass, more RU for the stuff that survived the first round, seed, and roller. I didn't bother with peat moss.

I assume you know this but don't buy the Princess77 seed from a box store. It looks cheap enough until you realize that there's more filler than seed in those bags.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here