Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris0831

Help with St, Augustine grass please?

chris0831
9 years ago

Ok....here's the deal...by August & September I will have a beautiful thick lawn, but it doesn't start out that way. Right now, about 75% of the lawn is chick-weed with a lot of Dollar weed scattered about. I guess my question is ......when the chick week and Dollar weed start appearing and BEFORE the St. Augustine starts greening up, can I use something like Round-up to kill it? I am thinking that it wont affect the lawn as long as it's dormant. Eventually the St. Augustine will choke out the rest of the mess, but it is taking a little longer each year. I live in southeast Virginia. Thoughts, comments, advice?? Thank you!

Comments (5)

• gardenper
    9 years ago

It's not so much that it chokes out those 2 weeds. It's that those 2 weeds die off as it gets warmer. Even the weed knows to prevail during the cooler spring months.

So really, to get more handle on it, certainly you can weed them out now, and the yard should look good until the next round of weeds grow up a bit. Then follow a typical weeding schedule for your yard with the appropriate products, including thinking about the weeds in the fall or winter months already.

• chris0831
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Understood.....I guess my question is what IS the appropriate product. St Augustine is so sensitive to most of the weed killers out there.......

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I suggest waiting for the weeds to be in full vigor. Fertilize now with an organic fertilizer (alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow) are good). App rate is 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Then in two weeks spray with this stuff...

{{gwi:86656}}

This is some bad stuff, but it's the only thing that will flat wipe out the weeds and not kill off the St Aug. Just spot spray the weeds. Don't spray the entire yard. But do get all the weeds. That's why I suggest fertilizing first to get them all healthy and ready for death. They will not die right away. It will seem like the stuff didn't work, and then, SUDDENLY, all the weeds will be gone. You can only spray that stuff once per year. Even if you spray it again it doesn't seem to do anything, so make the most of it.

• chris0831
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the tip, but the problem is that there is more weed then there is lawn. Instead of the weeds popping up here and there in places, it's the lawn that is popping up here and there. I need something I can put in my tow behind sprayer and do the whole lawn......

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

You can do a whole lawn with that product. It comes with a hose connection. I usually don't spray the entire lawn but it really is meant for that. One problem with atrazine products is you would have to walk backwards spraying it if you did the entire lawn. Maybe the tow behind is the way. Look for an atrazine product in larger quantity. Try a feed store. They cater to ranches.