Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand for spot leveling bermuda lawn?

Posted by Mildine Southern California (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 17:01

I'm new to lawn care, recently taking over all duties, after watching the hired company nearly destroy our new bermuda lawn (2 years old). I've read through the bermuda bible at least a dozen times, and just about any thread I could find that dchall_san_antonio and texas_weeds have posted. I'm following the steps, and just applied about 40 lbs of alfalfa pellets over memorial day weekend. I have a bunch of uneven spots after the new sod settled, that I would like to start leveling out (before I do a full on leveling project, and to taste what I'm in for). My question is, rather than buying 1,000 lbs of Masonry Sand, is there anything else I could use, that would be found in a big box home & garden retailer? I read do not use play sand, but what about the other 50lb bags?

Thanks in advance! So much useful information here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand for spot leveling bermuda lawn?

If your Big Box store doesn't carry sharp/mason sand at a reasonable price, many of the landscape suppliers or garden centers that sell it by the yard (they may not call it mason sand), will often allow you to buy it by the bag. ( commercial Gravel and Sand yards usually won't) They might require you to fill the bags yourself-mine do. The other sand you find at the Big Box stores is for mixing concrete and it will contain small pebbles and stone shards. I've used it in a pinch, but I recommend avoiding it.

o

If you want just a couple bags of sand the big box stores will have it but usually only 100lb bags. Look for those and i think they say coarse or medium sand. Can of a pain hauling around 100lb bags but almost all of the 60lb bags is the wrong stuff.

o

Just curious, where did you find alfalfa pellets in SoCal?

o

I have a similar situation. My house was a new build and I have huge low spots where the sprinkler lines were laid and around the perimeter of the house from rain run off before I had gutters put in.

I have used 3 bags of paver sand from Lowes and mixed it with a bag of local topsoil to fill in really low spots. It is not ideal, but it has definitely worked and has given me a feel for the process. I would say grab a bag or two and give it a go. Then go through the full process!

o

@ dchall_san_antonio:

Stephens Hay & Grain on Riverside Drive in Glendale. Seems to be a good number of horse owners in La Canada and Burbank areas.

So if I see it in a 50 lb bag (all purpose sand for soil) it is the wrong stuff? Should I just bite the bullet and get top soil?

o

If it is free of little pebbles and little flakes/shards of stone, that will do.
You do not want to use top soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here