Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting Sod Into Plugs

Posted by fruitjarfla (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 17:11

Do you think that a paper trimmer would work - to cut sod into plugs? I have tried various cutting tools to slice sod into plugs but haven't found a good one yet. The kind I refer to is the old style cleaver attached to a heavy board. Buying plugs from just a relatively short distance costs about as much to ship as the plugs (St. Augustine plugs, for example). A cutter would be very handy since the local Home Depot and Lowes sell sod throughout the summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting Sod Into Plugs

I though of doing the exact same as you stated. I found that flipping the sod over, root side up and a swift swing of a machette will cut almost all sods. I did 4 pallets of Empire turf. Each layer into 36 peices. I had over 4000 plugs, 8"x8".
Another way is to use a chain saw. Stack up 4-8 peices of sod and cut right through it. Its quick but youll mess up the chainsaw.
Back to your orginal question, no, I do not think a paper cutter will work well. The sod is to heavy for it.

o

To cut through KBG sod, I just used a utility knife with the blade extended about an inch or two. Even though it was a "snap-off" blade, it didn't break at all and was fairly easy to cut with. (I'd still wear leather gardening gloves, just to be safe).

--Gags

o

Machete has my vote.

Get a nice heavy one with a straight blade and you can whack anything into pieces.

Like this one:

o

Joined Gardenweb so could tell you guys how I cut sod for plugs. CIRCULAR SAW AND MASONERY BLADE WILL GET IT DONE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here