what kind of grass is best for...

Posted by Natura23 NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 28, 14 at 17:26

Hi ya'll
we finally moved to a house with a big back yard where our kids can play
Well our toddler hates it... is all rough
land with many small sticks, leaves from last fall
and weeds. So I want to turn it into a lawn but I don't
have a clue on what kind of grass to chose.

We will have hens that we will let play around when the kids
aren't playing.

I would rather not water it or at least not very often
if this is possible. All I want is some smooth area for my kids to play

For what I understand you use round up and then
till it? we don' have a tractor or tiller and the area I chose
is as small as a quarter of an acre.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of grass is best for...

Chickens' favorite thing to do is scratch and eat seeds. That is incompatible with establishing a lawn with seeds. Best time for seeding fescue or Kentucky bluegrass is September. Anything you plant now will not survive the summer heat. You could clean up sticks and leaves now, keep the weeds cut through the summer, and do whatever planting you decide to do in September. Do not till. Roundup will kill the weeds. You would do that in August. Not sure what you could do about the chickens while you're trying to get grass to grow. They would have to stay out of the area. Maybe you could get advice from other chicken owners.

o

Since you are in NC I highly recommend Bermuda. Withstands the heat and requires very little water after established.

o

Apparently late spring/early summer is the time to plant Bermuda. I have no experience with it so hopefully someone else will have some advice for you. If you have access to Bermuda sod, you can plant plugs of it and it will fill in.

o

With the exception of the very south east part of NC, Bermuda is VERY poor choice. The dominant and most adapted grass in most of NC is Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass, a mixture of both grasses makes a very competitive lawn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here