Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
constantgardenersf

Trying to identify if it is a vole/mole.. or what

ConstantGardenerSF
10 years ago

Hello,

First things first, we have a garden in San Francisco where we have some trees, a vegetable garden (this is a raised bed garden) where we grow mostly mache, arugula, tomatoes (plan is huge but still no tomatoes) and two big rosemary shrubs. The garden has a gopher net/wire underneath and does not have grass since we have some mulch all over the garden to prevent weed in growing.

Now, starting maybe 2 months ago I started to notice some "bumps" in the garden, like if something under it would be pushing the soil "up", no holes, just the bump and you could try to step over it and it would become flat again. But after a few weeks it started growing and "moving", it gives the impression like there is a tunnel, the damaged area is maybe around 2-3 feet.

We thought that it could be a gopher, a vole or a mole, so even if we could not find any hole like the ones we have seen in Internet caused by gopher/vole/mole we decided to get some castor oil. The castor oil has somewhat worked, we can squeeze the area and apply it and we wont notice any bumps for maybe 2-3 days, but the next time the bump moves (in the same pattern, 2-3) nearby even if we are applying castor oil _everywhere_.

Last week I decided to try to find what was causing it, I pulled up the damaged area to see if there was any tunnel but to my surprise there wasn't anything, the soil is just very soft in those areas and as said we have bee looking all around and there is no sign of a hole (and we have gopher wire all over).

Now I'm wondering if possibly:

a) There is a rodent under the gopher wire that as it moves it push up the soil, if this is the case it will be a pain to get rid of it (the gopher net protects it).
b) Maybe there is no rodent.. and we have raccoon/cat visiting and trying to dig, however that does not explain the pattern of why these "bumps" somewhat stop when there is a stone step.

Also while checking the garden I noted some soil behind the trash cart, I used a stick to see if there was a hole under it but no, it is just soil accumulated (no idea how it got in there).

I took pictures to look for guidance and suggestions!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022