Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got my Logan Labs Report Back

Posted by Pete1313 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 17:30

Just moved to a new house in march.Planning a full restoration this summer/fall. yard is filled with weeds and almost no grass. Talked with their independent agronomist on suggestions. He also suggested that since I was tilling the soil to add 20-25 lbs per 1000 sq ft of rock phosphate in addition to his recommendations. I have a couple questions. Is that too much phosphorous to be adding? Also, should I add some elemental sulfur to the backyard to bring the ph down? I was also planning on mixing in an inch of compost. I live in the chicagoland area and they did a physical analysis showing I have silt loam soil (clay 11.0%, silt 71.3%, sand 17.7%)

photo 20140529_143326_zpsc4fe7407.jpg

photo 20140529_143648_zps35236b17.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got my Logan Labs Report Back

Whoa! Don't do any of that until you get this test read. Do this Google search (logan labs andy10917 soil management) and find the forum where Andy reads the Logan Labs soil tests. Post your results there and explain what you were planning to do (tilling). Let those guys talk you out of tilling or give you a way to do what you really need done.

o

The test was read already and that was the recommendations I recieved. Ill do a search for andy and see if he can help with a second opinion. They charge you $30 and have your samples read by a third party. I called them up and he seemed very knowledgeable. Explained to me why I needed all that stuff. He was saying that my potassium and phosphorus were my 2 main focuses that are way off and that the gypsum was for the really high amounts of magnesium in the front yard. That it would soften the soil and help it leach from the soil if that makes sense. He kept talking and I tried to write as fast as I could. He said to work on that this year and retest next year and we will go from there. But he said if I was going to till to add 20-25 lbs per 1000 of rock phosphate and that would be a slow release of phosphorus for years to come.

o

Forget about tilling. Andy will tell you why. Andy doesn't charge $30 and he gives you a written reply which you can respond to if you have further questions. That forum is free like this one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here