Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott431

20 year old fall fescue seed is not viable?

scott431
10 years ago

I just planted seed after power raking (de-threshing). Today, after 4 days of even-spread water cycles of 6x a day, I realized the bag of seed was from 1992. The seed is older than my car!

Also, on day 2, the air-temperature soared to 93 degrees F (my dumb luck). I'm concerned that the seeds got baked, although the ground was moist in the evening.

Also, I didn't cover the seeds with any compost, just spread them on the ground with the whirly-woo.

Also, today I checked the ground temperature (here it's day 4) with a thermometer at high noon and the temperature was about 90 degrees ground temperature (weather.com says it's 70F).

- Am I wasting water with these seeds?
The next watering cycle starts in 1 hour.

If I need to re-seed, a few Q's:
The weather forecast shows highs in the low 70's for the next 10 days (and today's 70 had a ground temp of 90):

- What's a good seed that I can pickup at Lowe's or Home depot for summer planting (Northern California bay area is where I am).

I would want to cover the seed this time around:
- Can I use the thresh (the de-threshing of the lawn produced about 1 cu yard of thresh (the lawn is about 2500 sq feet) ) to cover? There were plenty of weeds in the thresh, but the middle of it is decomposing at about 120F in some parts of the pile.
- Or should I just stick to compost from the landfill?

And, is it better to apply the seeds to wet soil or dry soil? I figure I should rake the seeds a bit once they are planted. Dry might be easier to put a layer of solid on top. If it should be dry, I might need to wait a bit for the soil to dry out.

And for watering:
- is 6x a day equal amounts a good bet?
- Or should I do a heavier watering in the morning / evening?

And, importantly, should I even try establishing a lawn in May?

First time poster. Sorry for so many questions.

Comment (1)