Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I planted KBG and want to mow my lawn

Posted by Mok57 5A (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 17:57

Hey all,

I live in Quebec, Canada and I overseeded with Scotts KBG mix 12 days ago. I know I should wait 3 weeks for seed to germinate but I also put some starter fertilizer and now the existing grass is getting really long! There are no signs of growth what so ever and I put the seed in areas that get 5+ hours of sun a day and I make sure my sprinklers water every day. The grass is approx 4.5-6 inches long (I cut the grass originally to 1 inch and I put some top dressing). What do you guys recommend? It's too bad KBG takes long to germinate (this is my first time just planting KBG mix) but I want to wait for good results. What do you all recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I planted KBG and want to mow my lawn

I would cut it to 2 inches. Yes I know about the 1/3 rule, but you are in Canada, cooler temps, and you are watering daily, the grass can handle it every now and then. Your KBG seed can handle being walked on pre germination. I would probably mulch mow as using the bag can suck up some seed and topdressing, and I would probably double cut it, the first cut north to south at around 3.5 inches, the second cut east to west at 2 inches. This will also make your clippings much smaller.

o

When watering new seed just keep it damp don't overwater. For what it's worth I've overseeded my KBG 3 times now. I mowed it at 2-21/2" as tiemco said and I didn't worry about it. Most of it comes in fine eventually--gotta have patience of Job.

o

Thanks for the awesome advice guys! I mowed it down to 2 inches patience is definitely key! 1 more week to go! I can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here