Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's that time of year again for seedheads

Posted by grass1950 none (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 18:08

My KBG is growing seedheads again and I've never found an answer as to whether the seeds will germinate or if they are sterile. Anyone have a definitve answer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's that time of year again for seedheads

They won't germinate.

o

Is there something I can do to retard thir growth or is there something I'm doing that is encouraging the growth? It doesn't do much for the yards looks and it lasts for weeks.

o

Growth regulators (PGR's) can reduce or eliminate seeding, but not sure if you want to go that route. It can depend on what cultivars you have in your lawn, there are some that are notorious seed producers, while others produce few if any seedheads.

o

Well, The cultivar is kind of a mish mash . The yard was originally seeded at 6#s per 1000sqft with 50% of Midnite and 50% blend of six improved KBG cultivars (I put the label somewhere safe and can't find it now). A year later, I overseeded at 3#s per k sq ft with a blend of 3 improved KBG cultivars (that label is also in the same safe place). Am I right in guessing it's probably the Midnite? (I do know Nuglade was one of the cultivars in the mix)

o

Go to page 120 of this pdf, and you will see the seedhead ratings for a lot of improved KBG cultivars. As you can see, most of them exhibit some seedheads.

http://www.ntep.org/data/kb05/kb05_11-10f/kb05_11-10f.pdf

o

Thanks tiemco,

I consulted ntep data when I was selecting my cultivars but I didn't go that deep into the data to see that info. The amount of data they have was overwhelming. Not sure at the time I would have made it a consideration in my selection.

I'm astounded that you are aware that inormation was available, let alone have it at your finger tips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here