Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Are the NTEP Regions?

Posted by MadtownWriter none (My Page) on
Sun, May 27, 12 at 18:16

Hello All,

I'm a first-time poster and, after a lifetime in apartments, about-to-be first-time home owner. I'm looking at a National Turfgrass Evaluation Program report for tall fescue, trying to figure out which type of seed to buy for where I live (Firebaugh, CA, 93622), and I'm looking for but am unable to find a boundary description of the different regions. What are the boundaries of the "Transition Region" or the "Upper West/Mountain Region"? I have a feeling that I'm in the "Southwest Region," but maybe I'm in the "Pacific Region."

Thanks (and my apologies if this is a ridiculous question),

MadtownWriter

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Are the NTEP Regions?

I would probably use the Sunnyvale CA site since that is fairly close, but only if you have similar climates. The Pacific region only contains data for two sites, and they are vastly different in terms of climate, so it's not a big help to combine them. Another thing you can do is pick cultivars that perform the best in Schedule A or B since the top performers do well in most climates. I would pay particular attention to Bullseye.

o

tiemco,

Thanks. Everything that I looked at on the NTEP data pointed toward Bullseye or Falcon V, with the v Schedule B data making Bullseye look like it might be best. I didn't want to make a mistake, though, so your advice is greatly appreciated.

o

I can tell you from personal experience that the Falcon line of TTTF grass seed has done very well here in the southeastern U.S. Our regions are very different, so what works well here may not do as well where you live. I'm not trying to sway your opinion, just letting you know that it has performed well somewhere else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here