Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Termite in my yard

Posted by kmiec Texas (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 07 at 18:34

I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the grass. They are about 50-100 yards from my house (big front yard). I can not afford to get a Prof. out to kill them (3,000-4,000 dollars) is there anything else I can use to kill them before they kill all of my grass?

I have treated my house for them so I am not that worry about it now. Luckly the guy said they haven't made it this far yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Termite in my yard

I really think that you do not have a termite problem in your grass. Here is how you may be able to tell if it is an insect problem. Mix 2 oz. dishwashing liquid in 2 gallons of water; add the juice of a lemon for a more dramatic effect. Mark out a 2'x1' area of turf to include the good and bad. Pour the mixture VERY SLOWLY over the grass. You want it to go down, not to run off the marked area. After a while bugs will start to come to the surface. Collect them in a jam jar and get them identified. If harmful ones are identified, you can decide on control measures. Indeed, if you can describe the symptoms or post a photograph of them, you might get all your answers right here.

o

They are the termite from what the exterminator say and the picture I have seen on the web. The exterminator said he has never seen them eating the grass roots before. I can post a picture of them if you can tell me how. We are also seeing them in our vegetable garden now.

Here is a picture of what they I have found on the web.

Here is a link that might be useful: Termite Picture

o

Umm, termites eat wood NOT grass. If they are in your grass, there is a wood source there. ie - mulch or old tree trunks? They love that unless it's treated specifically for termites. Also, if you see them in the daytime, it's not termites. The light KILLS worker termites. The termites that are in daylight are the winged ones looking for sources of food - wood which has the stuff they eat. A way to see if termites are running up your house is if you see mud paths. That's what they build to stay out of the light. Once up your inside wall, they have mud exhaust tubes coming from the wall outward about 1/4". That's how they breath and get fresh air.

o

Don't know who you talked to, but that seems like an outrageous charge for treating insects. Have you tried terminex or any of the other chains? Also, they sell home kits with lawn spikes for about $60.

o

My sister own termite control business and i can tell you that treatments are expensive! I asked her husband about it and he said that the poison he puts out last for 8 years around the house as long as they don't get disturbed (gardening). It's about 8 inches wide barrier.

o

Bayer termite killer plus is about $20 at lowes. It only lasts a couple of months (not years like the pros.) If you are doing it yourself, get some of the bait station traps to monitor them to make sure they don't get too close to the house.

o

home depot sells a termite treatment that will last 5 years made i believe by ortho it is expensive but compared to that quote very cheap. i think for like 80 dollars it will cover about 60 feet.

o

Are you sure these aren't grubs? Grubs eat grass roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grubs

o

The picture shows termites but please note that the body - excluding the head - is fairly straight or unsegmented. Are the creatures in your lawn similarily built or can you see a waistline? If you can, then it is probably not a termite. I have absolutely no reason to question your powers of observation but this difference has fooled spray technicians with many years experience.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here