Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimmycrackcode

Help with Lawn Problem

JimmyCrackCode
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm about pulling my hair out on this lawn issue. My backyard was new sod last year (Detroit Metro Area) and had a troubled start where it was installed in the hottest time of the summer and didn't get watered for many hours after install, no thanks to my landscaper. It literally look over a month to take root. Regardless, by last fall it was looking good.

This spring, I noticed it's very green and growing well (I mow it almost every 3-4 days), but looks very thin when looking straight down on it. At an angle, it looks thick and lush. It's been a very wet spring and there is little grading to this part of the lawn. The house is south facing, but this part of the backyard gets sun almost all day (~10AM to sunset).

I aerated this spring, attempted to overseed, fertilized as usual, and am in the process of a course of fungicide as I notice leaf spot. Also hit it with GrubEx as insurance against those pests. Soil test show nothing abnormal (ph 6.7, N/P/K "normal"). The useless landscaper thinks it looks fine. There are more grass blades going every which way, instead of straight up like the other areas of the lawn (not recently sodded).

Keep a super-sharp mower blade (sharpen monthly) and haven't watered the lawn yet this year.

I'm stumped, unless a nice fungus has taken over. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

This post was edited by JimmyCrackCode on Wed, May 29, 13 at 21:31