Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeding lawn

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 18:46

I plan on reseeding my yard in the fall, and would like to put a more natural grass in the yard. It seems like all of the grass recommended on this form requires at least an inch of water per week. While naturally we may receive an inch of Water per week several times per year. I would like to plant a seed that will grow with the natural rain fall.

In our area we got about 48" of rain in 2013 and 42" in 2012. Obviously we get more in some months and less in others. It nearly never gets to 0 but some times several weeks of 90+ temperatures. Out front yard get nearly full sun most of the time.

Does any one have any recomendations

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeding lawn

Where do you live?

I personally like UC Verde Buffalo grass, but I'm in central AZ.

o

I live 25 miles east of Raleigh NC

o

It depends on your expectations. That recommendation for an inch per week is to keep healthy perennial grasses. Most of the turf grasses can get by on less water, but your going to have a less dense turf. An aggressive seeded common type bermuda grass would be your best bet in a full sun application. If your not giving the bermuda any supplemental water it will probably look pretty bad in dry years and great in wet years provided you give it plenty of food in the summer. This is not going to win you the yard of the year award:) Let crabgrass be your friend and fill in the bare spots in he summer and poa anna in the spring and fall. Also, I have a friend who aerifies his lawn early every spring and late every summer with one of those pull behind aerifiers for a lawn tractor to pull up weed seed and he has the most beautiful crabgrass lawn you have ever seen(although he has to mow it 3 times a week). He does he same thing in August to get the poa anna going. It doesn't get more natural than that.

o

Here is a picture of bpgreen's natural pasture grass lawn in Salt Lake City.

That is a mixture of wheatgrasses adapted to his area, blue grama, and strawberry clover. He starts deep watering about June and fertilizes once per year (I think I have that right). And mows once a month. It looks like a lawn to me. Check on the Internet for wheatgrasses and other pasture grasses which grow in your area. Mix up a blend of seed, and cast away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here