Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Logan Labs Soil Test Report

Posted by CPascal Boston, MA (6) (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 12 at 19:09

Hello,

I received a soil test report from Logan Labs per the suggestion of many on this forum (see below). I was hoping to get the community's thoughts on what amendments I should add to my lawn, how much, and when. Thanks in advance --

Total Exchange Capacity (M.E.): 8.97
PH: 6.00
Organic Matter: 5.11
Anions:
Sulfur ppm: 14
Mehlich III Phosphorus: 593
Exchangeable Cations:
Calcium lbs/acre: 2439 (desired) 2468 (value found)
Magnesium lbs/acre: 258 (desired) 173 (value found) -85(deficit)
Potassium lbs/acre 279 (desired) 109 (value found) -170(deficit)
Sodium lbs acre: 50
Base Saturation Percentages:
Calcium (60-70%): 68.80
Magnesium (10-20%): 8.04
Potassium (2 to 5%): 1.56
Sodium (.5% - 3%): 1.22
Other Bases (Variable): 5.40
Exchangable Hydrogen (10 to 15%): 15%
Trace Elements:
Boron (ppm): .41
Iron (ppm): 209
Manganese (ppm): 16
Copper (ppm): 4.97
Zinc (ppm): 9.5
Aluminum (ppm): 1073

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Logan Labs Soil Test Report

Nice test, not much needs doing to bring it up to snuff. pH is a touch low, liming will bring it up a bit, and will raise your Mg level which is also low. You need either Dolomitic lime, or Mag Turf Pro (it works faster than regular dolomitic lime and is available at Lesco/JDL). Apply using the high rate on the bag. Your potassium level is very low. The best way to remedy this is with potassium sulfate, comes in a bag labeled 0-0-50. 2 lbs. per thousand this month and next month, then in Sept and Oct. Don't get potassium chloride, or muriate of potash. It will provide the K you need, but you don't need the chlorides. You can find potassium sulfate at some garden centers, sometimes Lesco/JDL, but if not there then online. Your micronutrients look OK, except for Boron, which is on the low side. Correcting boron levels is tricky, because too much is toxic, and a little boron goes a long way. Ideally you want to use a spreadsheet program, but barring that, you want to apply it very conservatively. Maybe Andy will chime in on that aspect. Your aluminum is pretty high, but at that pH it won't be toxic, so not to worry.

o

Thanks for the feedback. Quick question: is potassium sulfate the same as sulfate of potash?

o

Yes, it should be labeled as 0-0-50. Potassium chloride, or muriate of potash is labeled as 0-0-60.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here