Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead spots in Centipede grass - what to do?

Posted by dsm1995gst none (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 19:19

I've got a few areas like this in my front yard that appear to be dead and aren't growing like the other areas. Everything surrounding these areas is already very green and growing nicely.

Should I wait to see if the surrounding grass grows into it or should I just rake it out and put some sod there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead spots in Centipede grass - what to do?

First of all I like to make sure you have centipede and not St Augustine. Many people confuse the two due to their similar appearance. Centipede always has pointed tips on the ends of the blades. St Aug always has boat tail shaped tips.

Generally grass dies like that from inhospitable conditions. In the case of centipede that would be too much shade (any shade is too much), alkaline soil (it must be acidic soil), too much fertilizer (centipede thrives on poor soil), or too much water.

For St Aug to look like that, just about the only possibility is not enough water. Secondarily it could be a fungal disease.

o

It is centipede. It may be dead in those spots because of the fact that, in my ignorance, I put out some "weed and feed" a couple of months ago. However, I did the same in my back yard to no ill effect.

The spots are not in the shade and receive a similar amount of water as the rest of my yard (which is in good shape) receives.

I ended up raking the dead stuff out and putting down some centipede sod, as I wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait for the surrounding grass to spread into the dead areas (as the dead areas did not seem to be any signs of greening).

Hopefully that will go well.

o

Where is this lawn located?

o

Florence, SC (about 70 miles from the coast).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here