Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristinainaustin_gw

Bermuda Yard Flooding - Need a Professional?

kristinainaustin
10 years ago

There is an area in my backyard about 10 feet wide by 50 feet long that floods any time it rains. It rained yesterday, but has been hot and dry today and I currently have an inch of standing water outside (picture attached). This has been a problem since I moved into this house 2 years ago and only seems to be getting worse as now it smells (Is the grass is decaying?)! It's awful! I've looked into "leveling" it myself, but am not sure if I need sand or top soil for an area this size that is prone to flooding/standing water. Any advice? Do I need to hire a professional to correct this? Help, please and thank you!

Comments (7)

• BermudaTamer
    10 years ago

That's too long to have that much standing water they didn't grade and slope that area properly to allow for proper run off. After an average rain you should see it drain 6-12 hours. My main swell where the water drains will raise to an inch or more but drains in just hours as the grade of the yard slopes the water to the back and into the creek. I would have it re graded by the builder if it was new or hire a professional to fix it.

• rager_w
    10 years ago

We had the same problem when we purchased our home in ATL. We ended up bringing in 4 dump trucks of top soil.
    I still have one spot that floods so I plan to install a French drain.

• texas_weed
    10 years ago

I cannot make a comment or recommendation because I cannot see the grade or low point on the property. Only thing I can say is the water has to have someplace to go.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

That water either needs to soak into your soil or drain off. The reason it smells is the water cuts off the availability of oxygen to the beneficial (aerobic) soil microbes and they are now dead and stinky. What will happen in that spot is the vegetation will transform from turf type to swamp type grasses. I have been in a home for nearly 2 years and just this month noticed I have the same problem. We got 3.5 inches of rain over 2 weeks ago and I still have 1 inch of standing water out in the north corner of the lot (I don't get out there much).

You can dig a trench to a collection point that is lower or you can fill it in and let the water drain to another collection point. Ideally that collection point would be a legitimate drainage point like a gutter in front of your house.

What I am going to do is spray the area with shampoo. Shampoo will help the water drain into the soil. When that does not work, I'll carve a swale out to the ditch (no curbs in the country) and let it drain that way. My property is raised above the road and has good drainage down the hill.

• kristinainaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to all of you that have responded so far! We have had rain last night and today, so both of my side yards and backyard have a lot of water (link to pictures attached). This is very typical for my house except that I decided to take a quick drive around my subdivision and did not see any other houses with anywhere near the amount of water that mine has right now (maybe a puddle at most). I can see my neighbor's entire backyard from one of my windows and there is no standing water in it. Do I need to look into re-grading my entire yard? The more I pay attention to it, the more I'm starting to think that this is not something I'm going to be able to tackle by myself. Again, thank you so much for all of your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yard

• rager_w
    10 years ago

Ultimately, re-grading would be a great fix, thats what I did. But you need to think about: 1. the cost -$$ for soil, new sod and labor; 2. to where will the water drain? I have no one behind me so this wasn't a concern. But for you, the run off can't drain onto your neighbors, legally anyway. Just food for thought...

• l_w_davis
    10 years ago

kristin, we live in very similar looking neighborhoods and i have/had very similar drainage problems

the problem at my place (it seems to me) is that the builder didnt build the house up enough (the pad) and then the dirt contractor didnt slope it well enough for drainage.

about a year after moving into my house I had the builder come back out...they had to remove the fence, they reslopes the back yard completely and put down new sod.

they basically carved almost a moat (not really but definitely slopes.

on my north side yars (unused mostly, no gate side) they basically put in a ditch.

the back drains now mostly, but it's still far from perfect and not really anywhere near ideal.

i knew there were drainage issues when i bought the house and didnt care, so i know some of it is on me.

im going to get creative in the future with the incorporation of hardscapes, etc and making the drainage even better.