Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mago0o

I need help! Light green grass spots all over my lawn

Mago0o
9 years ago

This is my first post but I'm hoping someone can help me ID this "grass" that is taking over my yard. It started off as a handful of spots and is spreading rapidly. At first I thought it was creeping bentgrass but I really have no idea. I'm hoping someone will tell me that whatever it is can be treated super easily and cheaply. I'm not holding my breath though. Nice lawns are rarely easy and never cheap. I'm sure there are plenty of questions that need to answered to figured out but I don't even know what information to provide upfront. Please pardon my ignorance.

I can only seem to upload 1 picture so I'll get images up in multiple posts.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (10)

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From afar

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The stem is flat-ish. I can try to get a better picture but maybe it can be seen with this.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Is it putting out seed heads? It may be poa annua or poa tivialis.

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not that I can tell but I have been mowing every 3 days just to keep it at 3.5 inches- taking about an inch off each mow.

I should also point out that it seems to want to lay down the longer it gets- which led me to think bentgrass.

This post was edited by Mago0o on Fri, May 16, 14 at 20:10

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

Bentgrass has a distinctive bluegray cast that I don't see in your pictures.
    If you grab a firm handful does it pull up easily?
    Also do you have any pictures of a blade with the tip uncut?

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't but I'll search the yard tomorrow. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll allow an area to grow out and post a picture. When I pulled up the pieces pictured above it seemed to come out easy - very shallow roots. Have some wicked rain and flooding right now but will do a better test tomorrow - or in 40 days when the rain stops.

• yardtractor1
    9 years ago

One more test you can do is drag your fingers though it like you are trying to comb it. See if you detect "runners" called stolons. If so, I'd be pretty confident that it is poa trivialis. It's unusual for it to be spread out in patches like you have, but that might occur if the lawn has been aerated or verticut/thatched.
    If it is triv, the only thing that has worked for me is to cut it out and patch with sod. Maybe others have a different diagnosis or better remedy.

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Had a bit of delay. Lawn tractor giving me trouble... Always something.

Here is a picture of the seed head. I didn't notice any stolons but I'm also not too sure what I'm looking for. I think I know but not 100%.

The stuff grows very thick and nearly stops my push mower when cutting less than an inch. The base of it is white for perhaps the last inch and when I pull it, it comes out as if in a sheath- again, with a white base. I'll post more pictures.

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where I pulled it from itself

• Mago0o
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shorter piece with some reddish color with the shallow root