Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smyler3

Crabgrass!? or some other

smyler3
9 years ago

I live in Southeastern Massachusetts and have had bad crabgrass problems for the last few years. Last fall I killed off the crabgrass, did a deep thatching and reseeded with Jonathan Green Black Beauty. The grass came up fairly well through the fall, with a few sparse areas.

On April 12, I applied JG Crabgrass Preventer plus Green-Up Lawn Fertilizer 22-0-3. I'm looking in my yard now and there is significant crabgrass already showing throughout. Or now as I'm reading more of the forum, maybe it's something else?

We had a major rainstorm that actually ended in a dusting of snow about 4 days after I applied the fertilizer.

Is it possible that this storm negated the effects of the fertilizer? Should I try a re-application asap to get the crabgrass back under control? Am I screwed?

Feeling like I should've built that ice rink this winter after all.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• joneboy
    9 years ago

I think your looking at something other than crabgrass. Crabgrass in your area, if it has germinated already, would only be a single leaf or two.Your preemergent app should be fine it needs half an inch of rain/irrigation to get into the soil and once it gets there it is pretty immobile in the soil.

• auteck
    9 years ago

It's NOT crabgrass, it's probably pasture-type tall fescue or annual ryegrass.

I'm down in Raleigh zone 7 and it just germinated here a week or so ago, most are single leaf (very tiny)

• smyler3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Took some photos. Hope this helps the diagnosis.

Thanks for the responses so far.

This post was edited by smyler3 on Mon, May 5, 14 at 21:31

• smyler3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• smyler3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A Bigger clump

• smyler3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a few that I pulled up yesterday.

Thanks.

• weigojmi
    9 years ago

That's looks suspiciously like something you're better off not knowing/thinking/worrying about as you really cant do much about it...

• smyler3
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, come on doc give it to me straight. I can take it.You make it sound like I'm doomed to some kind of alien invasion or terminal disease.

The Jonathan Green guys said it looks like perennial rye. Is that what you were thinking?

• jacob.morgan78
    9 years ago

Kinda looks like what we call "wire grass" ...if it has long runners under the ground, there's not much you can do about it. You can kill as much as you want but until you get ALL the runners from underground it will come back every time... even a small piece will spread like crazy in the summer. BUT, this may not be it...

• capt08
    9 years ago

I think it's Tall Fescue. Check this link to help you determine. http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/

• dchall_san_antonio
    9 years ago

I believe wire grass is another name for coastal bermuda. It only grows near the Gulf of Mexico.

That's definitely not crabgrass. It is going to be difficult to eradicate since it is a grassy weed growing in grass. Grass killers are going to kill both. Dealing with it might involve some tough love where you kill it and a little bit of the Black Beauty. But then you reseed with more Black Beauty and life goes on.