Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cterrell16

Which is the tifway 419

cterrell16
11 years ago

I've attached a picture of the sod I had put down 3 months ago. Can you tell me which area in the picture is the tifway 419.

The bottom of the picture is alot darker and denser.

http://pbckt.com/pf.uTjc8q

Comments (15)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

{{gwi:95768}}

The dense, low growing, dark green grass is the TIF 419.

• cterrell16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What could the other be?

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

It's the color of crabgrass. Can you get a close up shot? Best if you can get it when the seed heads or flowers are showing.

• david_tx
    11 years ago

I don't understand. If the lawn was sodded 3 months ago, why wouldn't all of it be the same grass?

• cterrell16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They put down 3000 sqft but I needed another 2000 sqft so I put the darker stuff they gave me two weeks later. I was told and invoiced for tifway 419 each time. But it looked different then and now. It's real close but it's different. I want to call my sod guy but be sure I can tell him what they are.
    http://pbckt.com/pf.uh5Ggb

Here is a link that might be useful: Close up

• grasshole
    11 years ago

"I want to call my sod guy but be sure I can tell him what they are."

You already know what they are.

Different.

Not the same.

Call them and try to figure out why.

You're not going to be able to find out what particular cultivar one or the other is without laboratory testing.

• david_tx
    11 years ago

TIF419 is the most common Bermuda sod these days. It's hard to imagine that you have different cultivars. I suppose it could happen, though.

I don't see much difference other than the color. Have you fertilized the sod yet? You have two different cuttings, maybe one was fertilized recently at the sod farm and the other wasn't.

Wild guess. Just trying to think of the simple/obvious answer.

• cterrell16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I fertilized with 16# of 24-0-4 for 5000 sqft at the beginning of may. If the darker green grass was fertilized more would it still look different after two weeks of fertilizer being on there.

I really hope it's the same because I don't want the hassle of fussing for some new sod.

Also, the lighter green stuff grows faster. In the picture it had been cut three days prior all to 1.5".

• cterrell16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well it doesn't look good. The companies phone number doesn't work so I can't get an answer. Is there anyway to get the lighter colored stuff greener. Like I said I already put some fertizer on there at the beginning of this month.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Okay. 15-yard penalty for withholding information. Please don't make us go through hoops to get all of this out. The only difference is one was fertilized recently and one was not. Or one sat on the pallet too long.

Search the Internet for the Bermuda Bible. Memorize it.

If you follow that now and by the 4th of July it still is two colors, get a soil test (Logan Labs - no substitutes) on each side. It might be possible that the soil at the sod farm is different in different places. Logan Labs will give you the info you need to correct any deficiencies. If you have questions about the results, post them here and you'll get help with the interpretation and what to get, where, how to apply, and how much to apply.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

Well I have not read through all the replies but as a Sod Farmer myself I am going to give your installation contractor the benefit of a doubt and say BOTH are Tifway-I (aka 419). Your contractor has no motivation or reason to lie to you about the grass. Tifway-I not only is one of the finest quality Bermuda varieties available, it is the least expensive of all of them because it has been around a very long time and supplies are huge. All the other substitute varieties like Tifway-II or TifSport would be more expensive than 419.

Color variation is quite normal and expected on large orders, orders months apart. Heck the contractor might of even purchased the sod from a different farm. The color is mainly determined by the mineral content in the soil.

So with all that said find the Bible and read it. Then consider trying this. Apply a Chelated Iron product, and/or use a slow release fertilizer with 2 to 5% iron in it.

• cterrell16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I fertilizer it all at the befinning of may not seperately. I just thought maybe the darker was before it arrived.

I've read the bible and followed it thus far. 1" of water per week. I've added the fertilizer at the beginning of this month but not with pure nitrogen because the store didn't have any. I used 16# of 24-0-4 Scott's fertilizer max for the 5000 sqft I have.

One note you mentioned was different locations of sod. The greener stuff looked to have white sand in the soil. The first set they installed did not.

• nearandwest
    11 years ago

Since you applied 16# of 24-0-4 over 5,000 sq.ft., that means that you applied approximately 0.8# N/1000 sq.ft.

• texas_weed
    11 years ago

One note you mentioned was different locations of sod. The greener stuff looked to have white sand in the soil. The first set they installed did not.

Well there you go, you answered your own question. The sod comes from two different sources. Like I said color is mostly affected by mineral content of the soil, most notable iron. Once the sod is acclimated to your soil and climate the color issue should work itself out. In the meantime purchase an iron product and use it, plus keep up on feeding it with a quality fertilizer.

• cterrell16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sounds good. I'd there a quality iron product I could use along with my fertilizer with iron. My yard must really be low in iron. It's ga clay.