Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unwanted grass in my yard

Posted by biker275 S/W Missouri (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 20:23

I have had for several years a reoccurrence if a type of grass that from a distance looks much the grass on a golf course green. It goes dormant early in the fall and spreads a bit more each year. I have tried killing it using roundup, but it manages to take hold the next year and starts advancing all over again.

I have included a photo of some of the grass to help identify.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unwanted grass in my yard

We're dealing with the same type of thing in our yard. Spraying it with Roundup and then keeping it covered with black plastic for a season or two helped, though it didn't get rid of it completely. You might try that if it's in a hidden area. If it's in your front yard (as ours now is), I don't know what to do. I've hard that several seasons of Roundup in a row will eventually poison all the rhizomes, but who wants to poison their lawn for two years straight?

o

Looks like my next door neighbors centipede! I go out every winter now when it's dormant and pull the runners out. Read where 2-4D will kill it but it also killed my Bermuda. I used to think Bermuda was pretty invasive but this Centipede is much worse IMO.

o

There is a reason why it looks like the golf course. Your description of the growth habits and the pictures (while not perfect specimens) make me think that you may be dealing with Bentgrass.

What is the desirable grass that the Bentgrass is invading? We need that answer to help select a solution.

o

The existing grass is "mostly" KBG".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here