Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roundup killed everything now what

Posted by kelly21409 MD (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 20:26

The yard of my new house looked to be mainly weeds. Apparently Roundup confirmed this by killing it all even the stuff that looked to be grass.

What should I do now? I'm in Maryland and the lawn gets about 50% sun. Should I just rake it all in and replant? If so, should I use a particular type of seed?

Many thanks for any help!

Frank

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roundup killed everything now what

Kelly always read the label on anything you spray on your yard. Round up is a nonselective herbicide, it kills everything. Spring seeding cool season grasses is difficult to do in the spring and keep alive in the summer, not to mention the competition from summer annual weeds. Sod is your best option with the best chance of success. Tall fescue or zoysia sod. Tall fescue is probably your best option, but I would look into both. Tall fescue sod is around 40 cents a square foot if you install your self. If sod is not in the budget then look into Prime Time or Bullseye tall fescue it will cost around a hundred dollars for a fifty pound bag and 50 lbs will cover around 6000 square feet. When you decide what kind of turf and if your going to seed or sod post again and I'm sure you will get plenty of responses on a step by step process, but either way it's going to be a fair amount of work.

o

Frank -
Now that you have no lawn, don't reflexively plant more in exactly the same places.

Take some time and consider less lawn and more shrubs and flowers. And maybe a wider sidewalk.

o

Yup, read the label! Ugh. I read only what I wanted to read.

Thankfully I limited my stupidity to the very small back yard and only killed about a third of that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here