Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodswalker88

No-Mow lawns?

woodswalker88
11 years ago

Has anyone used, or heard of, no-mow grass?

http://nomowgrass.com

apparently it is a breed of fescue that only grows about 6 inches tall. You only mow it once or twice a season. Sounds like a godsend to me!! If it is true, that is...

Comments (20)

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Cool! I have not heard of it specifically called Low Mow but many grasses have a natural length where they seem to stop growing. Here is my Low-Mow Grass...

{{gwi:90993}}

It is only low mow because I stopped mowing in October last year. I expect it to get up to about 30 inches high before it stops. My grass is the Floratam variety of St Augustine and is about 20 inches high in the pic. This is an experiment to see how little water it will need. That grass has not been fertilized in at least a couple years. In October when the rains came I stopped watering and let it grow. It is worth mentioning that I live on the edge of the desert in Texas. It was 99 degrees today. Our last rain was a week ago so I would not expect the tall grass to need water yet. I am watering the grass where it is still down around 4 inches. That grass is drying after a week. It's an interesting experiment.

Where do you live? There might be some other alternatives that are somewhat more conventional.

• woodswalker88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in southeast PA. I moved to a house with about 1/2 acre of land and I have an electric cord mower. There are trees & garden stuff and the cord gets tangled up in it. Really a pain in the A. I'm into buying a few big bags of this No-Mow grass... they say that it will 'take over' existing lawn if you mow it to the lowest level. In a season you will have this variety of grass that grows only about 6 inches. Sounds like heaven to me!!!

• concretenprimroses
    11 years ago

I wonder if its nice to walk on or if its something that might be considered undesirable if found in a lawn. Perhaps you should get the species name and do some research. anything that would take over a whole lawn in a year sounds suspicious to me.
    Kathy

• glenforest
    11 years ago

The order page says it costs about $30 for a pound (including shipping). And in that pound, you get 50 percent "supine bent" seed and 50 percent inert matter. So the seed cost is actually almost $60 a pound. No thanks.

One of the mixes contains some fescue, but the main ingredient appears to be bentgrass.

• nearandwest
    11 years ago

Lol @ dchall...hey man, has your dog disappeared yet under the grass???

• woodswalker88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>One of the mixes contains some fescue, but the main ingredient appears to be bentgrass.

Is bentgrass a bad thing?
    Apparently the now-mow grass isn't good for high-traffic areas. That's OK...I have lots of very distant areas that aren't high traffic.

• glenforest
    11 years ago

Like most things, it depends. In a non-bentgrass lawn, bentgrass would be considered a weed. It creates patchy areas that spread and eventually could take over the desirable grasses. This is probably why the No-Mow planting instructions simply say to cut your lawn short and overseed; the bentgrass will eventually take over.

On the other hand, bentgrass planted by itself could make a fine carpet of grass. Think putting greens.

Bentgrass is usually considered a high-input, high-maintenance grass, so this use of it is not the customary approach. I have no idea how it would be under low-maintenance conditions.

• aklinda
    11 years ago

Totally off topic but what a cute dog. Looking at that picture makes me want to ruffle his (her) ears.

• dchall_san_antonio
    11 years ago

Bentgrass? The OP mentioned fescue in the first message.

• glenforest
    11 years ago

The OP mentioned fescue, but the website he named said this:

Original NoMowGrass
    (~50% supine bent 50% Inert Matter)

Improved - Lush Blue-Green
    (20% native alpine & 20% bent mix 60% Inert Matter)

Hot/Dry Mix
    (20% Dwarf Fescue 30% Inert Matter & 50% Original Seed Mix)

The first is $23.50/pound; the second $40/pound; and the third $34/pound + shipping. And for some reason, it costs $6 to ship a pound of the first two, but $11 to ship a pound of the third.

• glenforest
    11 years ago

Hi again, David. I thought I remembered this topic coming up previously. See the GW link below--and look who posted! ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: GW forum--No Mow Grass

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

Wow, that's overpriced.

Bentgrass is terrible mowed high. It forms stolons far above the surface of the soil.

Just buy fine fescue, kill the grass underneath, and don't mow it. Fine fescue just doesn't get that tall. It also looks very pretty long.

I know 'cuz my riding mower is a MONSTER, and until I get a gator blade, there's no mowing that's going to be happening when I pass over the fine fescue because it's just flattened by the wind from the 54" mower deck.

• woodswalker88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

>Bentgrass is terrible mowed high. It forms stolons far above the surface of the soil.

what are stolons?

>Just buy fine fescue, kill the grass underneath, and don't mow it. Fine fescue just doesn't get that tall. It also looks very pretty long.

How tall does it get? How does it do in shade? I have a row of trees that I'd like to leave "natural" rather than "manicured". Today I mowed a curved line around the tree row and mowed everything outside of that. Perhaps if the un-mowed area looks "deliberate", neighbors won't get upset.
    Also, how do you mean "kill the grass"... use a chemical? If so, then how do I plant the fescue? I prefer not to use chemicals, it's bad for the planet.

The reason I liked the "no-mow" grass, they said if you cut it low & plant the no-mow, it will 'take over' the old grass.

• woodswalker88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

http://www.prairienursery.com/store/nomow-resources-ezp-80.html

Prairie Nursery sells a no-mow lawn mix. It is Fescue. Problem is you do have to remove the previous grass. I have been removing grass & starting gardens since I got here, but my stamina is failing... I think I'll try to smother my lawn under the trees instead, by piling my leaves there... but for the sake of this discussion I thought I'd provide the link.

• forkliftaccess001
    11 years ago

How much is the cheapest no-mow lawn?

Here is a link that might be useful: click here

• s10sleeper
    11 years ago

although it is expensive, the one grass I know that doesn't have to be mowed is buffalo. It doesn't grow very tall so I am trying to get it to spread in my lawn. Buffalo can run about 27 dollars a pound though, and takes alot of water at first.

Sharp Brothers Seed is one of the biggest manufacturers and is located only 60 miles from me. When I was a kid we planted it in our yard and it did great

Here is a link that might be useful: sharp brothers

• antonetteB
    11 years ago

Mowing the lawn regularly is a monotonous and occasionally annoying thing to do. However, it does give one the sense of pride in maintaining their home. Mowing the lawn also helps one avoid costly not mowing charges, which towns can impose on house owners. It is better that Homeowners should avoid not mowing the lawn fines. I have heard that not mowing the lawn can result in heavy fines, even jail time.

• douglasont
    11 years ago

it is 2013! jail time for not mowing your lawn - seriously - i get pride from not running my mower, not using energy be it gas or electricity (i pull or cut out the weeds though) as things change and they are (fines for watering! your lawn) the notion of hyper lawn care will diminish

• littlesprouts
    10 years ago

That picture isn't no mow grass - my grass from NoMowGrass.com only gets 4" high...if that.

It also costs half of the other places claiming to be low maintenance lawns.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn Grass that wont drive you crazy!

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Native Bentgrass laid in July zone 9

Native Bentgrass 5 weeks out ( August zone 9)
    Native Bentgrass 3 months out (October zone 9)