Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grass blades are yellow/green...

Posted by westchestergrower Lower NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 31, 09 at 20:47

Hi,

I seem to have this issue every year.

The grass starts off beautifully, and in late Spring the blades start to turn a myriad of colors. Some have yellow in the middle and green on the bottom or top. Others have yellow bottom and green top, etc. I figure it may be fungal, but we are not in a dry spell and it seems to be getting worst. I should note that I have gone organic and so far have used only corn meal and milorganite in early Spring. So I was thinking it may be lack of N, but this happened when we blasted the lawn w/ chemical ferts as well.

Any ideas? We do have some grub issues, but I thought that produced more severe areas of yellow compared to an overall issue throughout the lawn. The grass is still growing quickly and has strong roots. Type of grass? I believe we mostly have fescue and perennial rye.

Thanks greatly!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grass blades are yellow/green...

I don't know about other years, but lots of people are reporting mixed yellow/green blades this year in our area. It seems to get worse after yet another rainy spell. So far, nobody is connecting it with fungus or disease. Post a close-up picture if you want us to match it to what everyone is seeing this year, and to make sure it isn't anything more serious.

o

It could be iron chlorosis. A lack of iron sometimes causes grass to turn yellow. Sometimes there's iron in the soil but it's not available to the grass due to pH (either too high or too low). Too much water can also cause it.

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 7:00

Don't know about your area (check your Agronomy depts at your Cty Extension or local colleges) but I just got an "Alert" email from NC State Friday warning of possible fungal and insect problems due to much rain and higher temps. I immediately got some fungal treatment and applied Sat morning.

I'd contact your folks up there before you lose you grass.

Here is a link that might be useful: NC State

o

Thanks for the replies...Here are pics, sorry for the copy and paste:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6882/dscn04001.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8352/dscn04021.jpg

o

I don't see anything looking like fungus. It looks similar to other postings that we're hearing about - maybe you have a little more brown and a little less yellow, but I'd watch and see what happens as it dries out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here