Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Grass Type Is This? Is It Too Late To Seed?

Posted by Jake216 8 (My Page) on
Mon, May 26, 14 at 20:47

This is my first post here, and I'm very new to lawn maintenance. We just bought our first house this winter and now that the spring/summer is here, I am trying to get some pointers of how to get my lawn into shape.

My first question is whether anyone can help me determine what kind of grass is currently growing in our backyard. I live in the Northwest corner of Louisiana and am pretty sure I know what type is growing but would appreciate confirmation from those who are experts.

Secondly, is it too late to try to seed the part of the lawn that is bare? I would like to get my lawn looking healthy as soon as possible.

Finally, there are several types of weeds that are fighting for control of my backyard. Since I have taken these photos, my wife and I have taken to pulling as many of these weeds as we can but they keep breaking off at the base; leaving the root behind. Will seeding help choke these weeds out or do I need to try a different approach?

Thank you all for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Grass Type Is This? Is It Too Late To Seed?

I don't know what kind of grass you have. I live in MD and my guess is it doesn't grow around here. it's probably a warm season grass of some sort.

My experience is with cold season grasses and you wouldn't seed those at this time of year. You would wait until around labor day. If you have a warm season grass, I don't know the best time to seed.

The best defense against weeds is to have a thick turf of grass. I wouldn't bother trying to hand pick the weeds as even if you got the roots, some other weed would sprout up in its place. The best thing to do is a to apply a herbicide a few weeks prior to putting down seed. If you want the best results, use a non selective herbicide, but this will kill everything you spray. Use a selective herbicide is areas where you want to kill weeds but don't want to kill existing grass. But, like I said, non selective are much more effective.

o
RE: What Grass Type Is This? Is It Too Late To Seed?

Thanks so much for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here