Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
philip_g

help with what I think is too much thatch

Philip_G
10 years ago

My lawn has been mostly dead since we bought this house, I think the pic will illustrate what looks to me to be too much dead thatch? But I'm not sure.

I aerate but I'm considering power raking and overseeding but that's really not popular around here.

Any chance I could get some advice to get it back in shape? It looks terrible right after it's mowed since you can see the dead grass.

Comments (6)

• Philip_G
    Original Author
    10 years ago

some more info.... since I've been reading other older threads that might be similar.

I run the mower on the second to highest setting, leaving it fairly long. Last year I was on the highest and I was worried leaving it long last fall contributed.

I'm trying a home brew fertilizer recipe a friend uses with good results consisting of 1c epson salts, 1c hand soap, 1c ammonia, 1 bottle beer applied through a garden hose applicator. I've also applied scotts weed n feed twice this spring.

I'll get a soil sample done.

still wondering if I should power rake, maybe this summer? I don't want to do more harm than good.

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Thatch can't be accurately determined unless viewed from a cross section. Cut and remove a 3" x 3" square about 4" deep so you can see the turf/soil profile from the side. Thatch will be the DEAD plant material ABOVE the identifiable soil horizon. If it is thicker than 1/2" (the existence of some thatch can be beneficial as it helps insulate the soil from heat and reduces evaporation), it can creat problems.

• tiemco
    10 years ago

Weed and feed products are a bad idea. It forces you to fertilize too early, and aren't very effective at killing weeds. You also have apply them to a wet lawn, which is a no no with dry fertilizer. The fact that you used two applications this spring already is not a good sign. I wouldn't be using that homemade fertilizer either. It's probably not doing much harm, but it's probably not doing much of anything either. Also the constant application of Epsom salts will result in an overaccumulation of magnesium, which can lead to a tight soil.

• Philip_G
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,

What do you suggest then?

• grass1950
    10 years ago

Wait for it...Lol. I'm placing $2 at the "m" window.

• tiemco
    10 years ago

Well first you need to figure out why you have dead grass. From your pic it's hard to see really what you are talking about exactly. As grass1950 pointed out, thatch is a layer of dead material on the soil surface. Maybe you have thatch, but it appears as if you have areas of brown grass, probably dead unless it's dormant, but by this time of the year most grass shouldn't be dormant, even in Colorado. Grass needs only a few things; sufficient sun, sufficient water, good soil with sufficient nutrients. A soil test will help with the soil part. If you don't irrigate your grass in times of drought, it will turn brown. Is your grass getting enough water? Was your grass ever all green? Did it turn brown after the weed and feed? Do you know what type of grass you have? Are the brown areas the same type of grass as the green areas? Where are you located?