Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lawn repair after vole damage

Posted by sunnytop 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 10 at 21:03

I have thick thatchy areas that upon pulling it out, I've discovered quite an expansive tunnel system from voles in my lawn. I notice that the areas that have these tunnels does not get as green as the rest of the lawn. How does one repair the lawn after such damage? It looks like dethatching is a must and then it looks like I would have to mow the lawn short so I can see to get to the valleys. Then it looks like I would need to get on my hands and knees and fill in the tunnel valleys with soil and reseed along the runways. Does anyone know of an easier way to repair a lawn after this sort of damage? If I have to go to such pains, I sure don't want to go to this much effort and have the same thing happen again! My neighbor tells me they had a vole problem a few years before we moved in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lawn repair after vole damage

What kind of grass do you have? If you've got KBG, it will repair itself once it starts actively growing.

o

I have KBG but I don't think these are new tunnels, I think they may have been there awhile and never filled in. The soil is sunken where the tunneling was so there's been no soil for it to fill into. You do have a point though. I think if I add compost to level the ground back out, there will be soil there for the KBG to grow into. Thanks. You helped me answer my own question.

o

I have KBG. When I get a vole tunnel in the lawn, I walk along the tunnel gently. At the dirt mound area, I try to push back some of the dirt with my foot and make it level and the excess dirt I kick or rake to surrounding lawn to keep it from being a mound. Usually the grass all fills in in a few weeks. I only wish the voles would stay away from the landscaping edging near the house! Rachel

o

Voles or moles? I thought vole damage was at the surface and was just paths that appeared when the snow melted. What you're describing sounds more like moles.

o

I have whatever they had in Caddyshack - but they are not THAT active (thank goodness!) Seems to go in spurts, some years worse than others. Tried a castor oil spray near the landscaped areas , but that did not seem tomake a difference. Learned to live with their occasional tunnels.

o

>"Posted by mustard_seeds 4
I have whatever they had in Caddyshack -

"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here