Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this grass/weed?

Posted by IdaM PA (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 14 at 21:08

I have a nice PA lawn, basically Kentucky blue & fescue (my preference), and some others probably. Last year I noticed this grass/weed growing more in some areas. It's kind of bushy on top of a stem. When it's green it looks soft and fuzzy for lack of a better description. When dormant/winter it's brown and looks like thatch. I'm sure someone knows what it is, hopefully the pics are OK. Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this grass/weed?

another pic

o

• Posted by IdaM none (My Page) on
    Thu, May 1, 14 at 21:12

one more pic, close up

o

Sat, May 3, 14 at 6:48

Can anyone help or suggest where I may be able to get some help identifying this? Thanks.

o

Wed, May 7, 14 at 20:51

I'm surprise that no one has posted any ideas as to what this is, or are my photos that bad?

o

I'm no expert but it looks like it could either be Nimblewill or Quackgrass. Check this link to view the various weeds. http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/weed_web/

o

I've had the same stuff popping up in my lawn in a few areas but after a few mows it seems to have gone away. The lawn is up to 4in thick now so not sure if it crowded that weed out or I just can't see it anymore!

o

It is very difficult to identify a dried out and brown plant than it is to identify a green and live one. Post new photos when the weed greens up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here