Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OMG, i killed my lawn...

Posted by takkie 11362 NYC (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 21:17

Hi.

First time home owner and have a regular size lawn. (about 2k sqft)

The house has inground sprinkler system, and i have it on on the Even Days, 3AM, and cycle runs for about 3 hours across different valve heads.

I mowed my lawn for the first time after getting a gas mower from Sears. (First time using a lawn mower as well), and i thought i did a pretty good job with it. There were weeds here and there so i went to home depot and picked up a Roundup Pump Sprayer.

I sprayed it all over my lawn and finished hte entire bottle (1.33 gallon). The next day, i started to see the grass turning brown and yellow with some kind of line pattern, which follows the way when i spray the entire lawn.

I then looked at the bottle again, and realized that it is a weed AND GRASS killer. I hit myself in the head and then water the lawn more often, hoping that these product dont work as good. 3 days later, alot more line pattern shown yellow / dry grass. I went to home depot and bought Miracle Grow lawn food with water sprayer and spray 2 bags of those lawn food over the entire lawn just earlier this evening.

Now here comes my question,

what can i do to save the lawn without killing it?
how do i make the dry/brown grass come back?
If i water it more often and give food to it more often, will it help? If so, which brand/what type please.

The lawn looks pretty awful now, as it has sporadic spots with dry/yellow grass. :(

Please help. I dont know much about lawn care, and just started reading on it. I do not know what type of grass it is either. I live in NYC suburbs, so i think its one of those grass that grew commonly in the north east.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OMG, i killed my lawn...

Mark it up to experience. Basically you have started a renovation. You might as well finish it. Kill everything with round up in early August and reseed in late August. Give a discription of your lawn, shady, sunny (how many hours a day it gets sun) etc. and what uses you want to make of the lawn and how much time and money you are willing to spend maintaining it, and someone will tell you what grass to plant and what process to use.

o

No matter what you do, it's not coming back.

o

Like i tel my kids when I go on vacation I never take a cell phone or laptop. She always complains the What If? What if someone dies, how will would you know. I always answer the same way every time; They will still be dead when I get home.

The lawn is dead, you get to start over again.

o

yes, lesson learned...i bet you will never again apply anything to your lawn without reading and researching first.

o

"OMG, I killed my lawn"

No truer words were ever spoken. Live and learn...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here