Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlm41

Yard weed looks like mini wheat stalks. (PIC Included)

jlm41
13 years ago

My yard has sprung up these little weeds all over that look like tall blades of grass, yet have wheat-like looking heads on top. I mow high about 2.5 inch. And this weed is abour same size. They are all over making my green grass look awful. What are they and how do I get rid of them.

{{gwi:96291}}From 2010-Spring Weed

Comments (13)

• Alph
    13 years ago

These just came about on my lawn too. From reading another forum, these seem to be KBG seeding early.

• weigojmi
    13 years ago

Got the same...is a bit disconcerting though.

• kevingalaxy
    13 years ago

I also have the same, im not sure if its poa or just grass seed. i bagged up my clippings thsi week just incase! I guess if it all dies out in summer then its poa and i need to run and get soem dimension?!

• Alph
    13 years ago

I mulched when I mowed yesterday. =]

• valtorrez
    13 years ago

I have these in yard also. I cut them down thinking they were weeds.

• weigojmi
    13 years ago

Does everyone with these seed with KBG...?

• vinny_75
    13 years ago

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I never had any weed issue. So I figured this was not a weed. My lawn is entirely KBG. IF this is KBG seeding, it makes sense. Should I not cut it short and let the seed pods mature?

{{gwi:96292}}

• oppalm
    13 years ago

vinny 75 you need to have your mower blade sharpened.

• auteck
    13 years ago

It is indeed Kentucky Bluegrass seeding out, it is normal this time of year. It will go away very shortly.

For those with Fescue/Bluegrass mix lawns, you can easely spot where the Bluegrasses are growing in your lawn.

• Alph
    13 years ago

Does KBG seeding imply one is mowing too high for this time of year? I notice that in the sections with seedlings, there is much less grass.. as if the grass just disappeared. I hope it fills in.

I was mowing at 2.5inch whereas my neighbor who has the same sod has literally no seeds. Only thing different, at least to my understanding, would be that her lawn-care service mows it close to 2inch.

• kevingalaxy
    13 years ago

Hi all, Vinny i have exactly the same thing. I mow at 3+ inches all year round, i started to bag the clippings as i was scared it was annual poa?! not sure if i should just let it seed or not, i too dont have any weeds so was very shocked at this and yes you can definitely see the patches where KBG is.

Rainbowss i would have thought the higher you mow the better? i am reluctant even with the seeding to mow below 3 inches, summer is coming and the grass needs that height so the roots can grow lower to get at whatever water is in the soil? Correct me if i'm wrong anybody.

• Alph
    13 years ago

kevingalaxy, I believe mowing higher is only beneficial during the summer season. And the reason, imo, is because this does not promote vertical growth because about 1/3 of the blade is in the shade from photosynthesis.

About the roots growing... If anything, experts have taught us that root growth is optimum during the spring and fall for cool season grasses. However, in the excessive summer heat, root growth is seized(forgot source). So I don't think roots will follow the water down or to a degree that indicates significance. And besides, roots should already be deep if you followed the deep and infrequent watering during spring/fall.

I believe auteck stated in the summer one would need frequent watering... as in spreading out 1.5inch per week on a 0.5inch per basis. I am still debating this but 0.5inch is close to being deep if you have sandy soil.

Maybe auteck can fill us in on proper techniques for KBG? [Hopeful] =]