Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texas_tifway

More TifGrand

texas_tifway
11 years ago

Just got 7 more pallets put down along the side yard, which is under some pines so I will be putting it to the test to see how well it handles it.

{{gwi:96303}}

{{gwi:96304}}

{{gwi:96305}}

{{gwi:96306}}

{{gwi:96307}}

{{gwi:96308}}

{{gwi:96309}}

Comments (14)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Did you use a roller to smooth it out?

• texas_tifway
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No I did not.

• texas_tifway
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So do you think I might have to come back next season and level it with sand? Or should it level its self out "somewhat" when I mow it?

• Big_Papi
    11 years ago

I'd roll it, you'll have to level it some next year, but not as much as if you didn't roll it.

• neilaz
    11 years ago

Hopefully you get at least 5 hrs of full sun

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Personally, I would have gone with coarse bladed zoysia like Palisades, Jamur, or Empire. All they need is 1-2 fertilizing a year. That's it. Does better with less sun compared to bermuda but not sure how Tifgrand does. Your next door neighbor is gonna hate you for bermuda invasion into his yard. Lol.

• texas_tifway
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not sure exactly how much sun it gets during the day but I think it's enough for it to survive(cross fingers). I'm more worried about the Saint Augustine creeping on the Bermuda and what's funny the neighbors replaced the entire front yard last season because the whole yard died out. A few days ago it was looking really dry and I don't know if it will survive the summer, but I guess thats what you get when you water improperly. I appreciate all the help I've have gotten from everyone on how to take care of Bermuda, I put down 39-0-0 about 3 weeks ago and the yard is looking 10 times better and it has taken me a little time to get the right amount of water per week but I think I've got it right. I'll throw up some pics of the rest of the yard soon so some people can see how well TifGrand does in full sun.

• DFW_Shadegrass
    11 years ago

Can you update on how your lawn is doing with the Tif Grand? We have a small patch of front yard that only gets morning sun and even that is partially shaded by our red oak and the neighbor's live oak -- which will only get worse as time goes on. The landscaper is suggesting replacing it with St Augustine. and the neighbor is suggesting TifGrand. This patch of lawn is contained on all sides so we wouldn't have to deal with it invading the neighbor's lawn except for the ~ 6 inch patch between our yard and their driveway which will be replaced with whatever we go with. We live is SW Fort Worth.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

DFW Shadegrass - another option is Zorro zoysia for shady area. Its fine blade type should fit with bermuda better if TifGrand doesn't work out well.

• rager_w
    11 years ago

Yes please provide an update. I've had an area I redid with TifGrand. It's doing OK, but it's on a steep slope so the run off is really taking it's toll.

• texas_tifway
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update:

{{gwi:96310}}

{{gwi:96311}}

{{gwi:96312}}

{{gwi:96313}}

{{gwi:96314}}

{{gwi:96315}}
    {{gwi:96316}}

{{gwi:96317}}

I will have further updates in May when it is fully greened up.

Details:
    Mowed at 1.25" with a rotary mower
    Fertilized late March with 28-5-10
    I haven't turned the sprinklers on yet

• rager_w
    11 years ago

Looks great, thanks!

• texas_tifway
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Update

{{gwi:96318}}

{{gwi:96319}}

{{gwi:96320}}

{{gwi:96321}}

{{gwi:96322}}

{{gwi:96323}}

• rager_w
    10 years ago

Thats about what mine looks like. I have a few brown spots where I used RU to late. We have been so cold here that its not filling in yet. We're just now getting into the 80's. I am cutting witgh a reel at 5/8" hoping for the best!