Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vinamore

How soon after applying pre-emergent crabgrass control can I...?

vinamore
10 years ago

I applied Scott's Halts Plus early spring as usual and now need to sow some grass seed in bare spots. How soon after applying this product can I sow seed? Thanks.

Comments (9)

• grass1950
    10 years ago

It should say on the bag. I believe Halts requires 120 days after app. before seeding.

• bvisailor
    10 years ago

I had this same issue, so I top-dressed the bare spots with as much topsoil as I could, seeded the heck out of it with way too much seed, and dusted a little more soil on top. I'm hoping at least a little of it survives, but we'll see.

• indy_hawkeye
    10 years ago

ponesy...please let me know how your reseeding goes. I was thinking about a similar approach to bare areas in my back yard. My Bermuda got hit hard last year with army worms and this year is a recovery year. I hit it with Halts about 60 days ago and was looking to reseed ASAP.

• bvisailor
    10 years ago

I will- it's only been a few days & I think fescue & KBG take a week or 2 to germinate... which reminds me- I think Bermuda takes about 30 days to germinate, so keep that in mind- will be hard to keep it damp long enough for germination in the middle of summer. :/

• enigma7
    10 years ago

Fescue is about a week but KGB is much longer (close to 3 in my experience but I only seed in the fall and so temps likely affect this).

• Alfredia
    8 years ago

bvisailor- want type of seeds did you put down and topsoil?

• PSU4ME
    8 years ago

Just an FYI, thread is from 2013 so they may not respond. Maybe start a new thread with you question/situation?

• dchall_san_antonio
    8 years ago

But I'll respond. Please don't do what bvisailor did. If he/she had any long term success it was because the heavy rain washed all that top dressing away.

Generally now is a poor time to put fescue, rye, or Kentucky bluegrass seed down. It also happens to be a poor time for bermuda, but for a different reason. So now is a bad time to seed. If you put bermuda down now nothing will happen until mid May when some of it starts to germinate. Then in June the rest of it will germinate. That's the only reason it takes 30 days is because most people SERIOUSLY jump the gun. If you are seeding with fescue, rye, or KBG now, you're also going to germinate all the crabgrass seed in the yard. Furthermore grass seeded now will not develop heat resistant roots by the time summer comes. The result is a crabgrass lawn by July.

If you go ahead and seed now anyway, you don't need any topsoil. Grass seed sprouts at the surface. All it needs is continual moisture (just like crabgrass seed needs) for several weeks. The best time to do this is in the fall if you can stand to mow weeds until then. There are a few other tricks we can help you with.

What do you want to do? If you want to do it now, we'll help you with the tricks and all the details. If you want to stretch through to the fall we will help you have the nicest weeds on the block until then ;-) Nicest weeds on the block is what I've had for the past 2 years. I'm patiently waiting for my grass to spread and take over the weeds.