Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edges of yard next to street are very sparse with grass

Posted by wingspings 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 21:36

I have a problem with a specific part of my yard. From the edge of the street to 3 feet into my yard the grass is very sparse, dries out, dies you name it.

Things that I have done, added compost works till the next year goes back to same problem. Dig out the area, reseed and even sodded goes back to being sparse and dies out.

I live in Massachusetts, so the only thing that I have come up with is that this happens because of the salt/sand mixture that is put down in the winter and eventually gets pushed onto that area of the yard.

What type of other actions can be done to combat this or do I have a different problem going on here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edges of yard next to street are very sparse with grass

That, and the heat from the road dries things out faster.

Keep adding the compost, it'll help hold moisture, but you'll also have to irrigate that area more than others.

o

Agreed. Streets and concrete curbing holds daytime heat into the night. That heat dries out the soil long after the sun goes down. I have run a soaker hose around adjacent to my driveway to help keep it moist. Which reminds me I need to turn that back on.

What I do is a very slow soak for several days. By slow I mean I set the water to trickle out of the faucet at 1 cup per minute. That's pretty slow when you spread it out over a 50-foot soaker hose. But it works when you leave it on long enough. Three days is usually enough in my soil. You'll have to come up with something for your particular situation.

o

It's the salt. My post is not going to be very helpful as a long time ago I was in a seeed store and asked what some bags of ? were for and the owner said it was an amendment for clay soils but he said he was selling tons of it that summer as people found it did wonders to conteract the salt in there tree lawns. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was so maybe someone here can put it together for you.

o

Granulated gypsum. Spread like lime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here