Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simple question: will zoysia grow in my zone (6b)?

Posted by stevedowty 6B (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 21:37

I've only got a little pocket lawn, so it shouldn't be this much trouble; but I'm re-doing it for the fourth time. Every time I put in fescue/bluegrass, either seed or sod, and every time it looks great the first year and then turns into a patch of brown grass interspersed with nutsedge, crabgrass, and--worst of all--dallis grass. The fescue simply cannot compete.

I've read that zoysia will crowd out any other grass or weed; plus, it looks almost like the St. Augustine grass lawns I grew up with in the deep South. I'm willing to give it a try and wait for it to fill in...just so long as I can be sure it's not going to simply "float upside down" as soon as the weather turns cold.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simple question: will zoysia grow in my zone (6b)?

It should do OK in zone 6B, but it will likely be dormant 5 to 6 months of the year. It will go dormant at first frost and will not green up until your weather is up around 80 and higher.

FWIW Zoysia does not look anything like Saint Augustine. It looks more like Bermuda just not as fine textured or as green as Bermuda.

If you go with Zoysia I suggest Meyers aka Z52 because it has the best cold tolerance of the Zoysia varieties.

o
RE: Simple question: will zoysia grow in my zone (6b)?

What time of year have you been redoing your seeding?

How high/low have you been mowing it?

What is your watering schedule after it matures? How often and for how long?

How have you been fertilizing it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here