Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frustrated with my Lawn in VA

Posted by swadwekar Z7-VA (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 21:39

Hello,

I have been working on my lawn for some years and I am frustrated. Every fall and winter the lawn looks green with nice new grass and then in spring it all goes downhill. The grass turns yellow and it looks like that all the way in the summer. I am cutting the lawn properly, watering it well and providing fertlizer and lime as well.
One more thing, the blades of the grass become real big and wide. I am useing fescue from Southern states.

Please let me know if you need more information.

I will try and add pictures, I cant find a attachment button here.

THanks for taking time to read and reply.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frustrated with my Lawn in VA

Ok trying out the link now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the grass

o

What cultivar are you using? It should have it listed on the bag of seed. If it says K-31, then there is your problem.

o
Pics

That picture you linked doesn't work.

o

Thanks for the reply. The bag does not say K-31. It is Statesman brand bought at SOuthern States. It is some type of Fescue for sure. I will go home and check it out again. I have unlocked the pictures so hopefully the link below will work. Please try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the grass

o

Any chance it is grubs? Just a thought. At first look it seems like a watering issue, but you said you water it well and if you are in northern VA, we certainly have had rain lately. I had grubs a few years ago, but the patches were more solidly brown than yours, so that may not be it.

o

THanks for the reply. How do I check for Grubs and How can I get rid of it ? This is happening every year so you can understand how much money is down the drain. It starts exactly at the time of Spring and when the temprature is hot. Our lawn faces sun all day long and the heat can be scorching in summer but it should not be this brown in spring. I checked the seed again and we had planted various types or mix of tall fescue. Thanks for the help.

o

How high/low are you mowing? How often?

What is your watering schedule? How often and how long?

What fertilizers are you using and when?

Have you used insecticide, herbicide or fungicide in the past year? If so which one(s)?

o

Q)How high/low are you mowing? How often?
A)I am cutting around 2.5 inches of hight. I do it weekly every Saturday or SUnday.
Q) What is your watering schedule? How often and how long?
A)In the spring I am doing only when the temprature is above 85 degree or it gets hotter then I am watering for an hour. I dont have an automated sprinkler system so using a manual one.
In the summer I water every two days or so. Again for an hour in each area.
Q)What fertilizers are you using and when?
A)I am using fertilizer to fertilize in fall and spring. I dont remember the name but it was from Southern States and I can post a picture of that.
Q)Have you used insecticide, herbicide or fungicide in the past year? If so which one(s)?
A)Not in the past year used it before that. It was by Savane.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here