Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
libbyliz_gw

Grass going to seed?

LibbyLiz
16 years ago

I've been mowing on a weekly basis. At the 7th day the lwan's going into seed.

Does it think 3" is all the taller it's supposed to grow so it automatically reproduces?

We had neighbors in Eastern WA who had a very short lawn due to the man of the house having previously worked on a golf course, I think in FL. So he wanted his lawn to look like such & would mow his northern grass like the southern grass. He said his lawn would go into seed if he let it go over whatever he mowed it at, possibly 1" or 2".

His lawn was horribly hard, probably because it was so short. I mow mine longer because I like the thick cushy feel. =)

Comments (22)

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Sounds like Poa annua to me.
    I'm doubting you allow the grass to grow tall enough to flower. Mowing on a weekly basis, I'm sure it isn't happening.

• Billl
    16 years ago

Poa annua wouldn't be phased by mowing. It will flower profusely at any height. If you basically don't see seed heads between mowings, it probably isn't poa annua.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Good point, Bill, that I cannot dispute. I just can't see bluegrass seeding at 3 or 4 inches. Or any other cool season grass.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for answering!

It has gone to seed before & it'll do it again I'm sure. And you're right, it doesn't do it between mowing, just when it's due for mowing.

I just thought grass wouldn't seed unless it was allowed to grow to its true height, whatever that is. So I always looked at my neighbor like he was crazy. But then it happened to me! LOL

• turf_toes
    16 years ago

Actually, I've run across an interesting article on the Purdue University Web site.

Apparently, KBG will seed at just a few inches:

{{gwi:96533}}

• mrgrinch
    16 years ago

I live in Manitoba Canada and can attest to the fact that my KBG goes into seed almost every year in late spring. The height of the lawn can easily be as low as 2-3" and it seeds that low no problem. It looks very similar to the top left picture above and is actually kind of ugly and gives the lawn a real uneven appearance. It's rough to walk on as well. Fortunately it only lasts for a week or two. If it does so again this year I'll be sure to post some pictures here for you guys.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It had started for me a week or two ago, so I guess it's on schedule! And I hope it doesn't last much longer because it isn't a pretty site, though natural. Oh well.

And I just checked what looked like tips going straw-colored, thinking I need to have the blade changed on the mower. Well, I mowed Sunday & the darn stuff is flowering already!!! So, I take it back that it does it only when it needs mowed!

Maybe I have a mixture of the annual blue, KY blue, rye & fescue?

• bpgreen
    16 years ago

The KBG in my lawn has been trying to flower and seed for the past few weeks. Since you're only 5-10 miles away, I suspect you're seeing the same thing. I saw some poa annua this week, but I'm out of town. We struggle with a lot due to our unique conditions, but when I hear how others struggle with poa annua and crabgrass, I think maybe we don't have it so bad. Crab grass can take hold here if you try really hard (some neighbors have it), but poa annua seems nonexistent.

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

Really great examples, Turf Toes
    I have never seen bluegrass seeding.

• littlesaint
    16 years ago

Same here. I've been overseeding with variations of Midnight and Moonlight the last few years and the areas where they are established (very dense, dark green) are going to seed at about 3".

• deerslayer
    16 years ago

My KBG went to seed a couple weeks ago. I mow to 3" when it reaches between 4" & 4.5". Mowing at 3" cuts off most of the seed heads.

-Deerslayer

• mrgrinch
    16 years ago

Further to my message above here are some pictures taken from my lawn today. I noticed that right on time my KBG has started to go to seed again this year! As I mentioned above it usually lasts 1-2 weeks of low stalky seeds. Does this mean anything? A weak or healthy lawn???

{{gwi:96534}}

{{gwi:96535}}

{{gwi:96536}}

{{gwi:96537}}

• mudman72785
    16 years ago

The grass going to seed is normal, it'll stop in a week or two.

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's just so strange that I never noticed this before & we've lived here/had this lawn since summer of 2004! Boy am I observant. *ROLLING EYES* And when it started I thought the grass tips were "brown" due to the blade needing replaced on the mower! LOL

bp,

We have a few clumps of crab grass, but it doesn't bother me. Sometimes I'll yank them out, other times I just let them be. Grass is grass I figure with the lawn we have! *WINK*

• jimru
    16 years ago

How long does the seed process last. i have more schutes than blades right now. I have a lawn in repair that had several dead patches that have been reseeded...please help this novice gardner??? thank guys

Jim

• LibbyLiz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think the average response above was a few weeks. I'm guessing that's 3.

Mine is still seeding. BLECH!

• egghead2004
    16 years ago

I have small round patches of POA annua that have been seeding for a couple weeks now, it lighter green and stands up straight.
    So this weekend I was mowing and saw seed heads everywhere, I mean the entire lawn. I started to panic until I saw this thread yesterday. These newer seed heads are not coming from a lighter green patch, but within the entire KBG areas with no weeds or anything. The seed heads also are larger and weigh the stem down a bit.
    There is no ligule on these stems either. There are ligules on the light green patches of POA seedheads.
    I would post a pic, but mrgrinch has exactly what I have.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

The only KBG I have with seed heads is at the corners of the yard near the fence where the mower doesn't get to. I don't use the weed eater that frequently. Mine has had seeds for a couple of weeks now and still does. Looks nothing like P. annua to me. The grass is around 10-12" tall in those spots. Obviously not the dwarf cultivars. Don't ask me why I ruined the yard by planting it.

• jimru
    16 years ago

I had the poa last year almost the entire lawn, with the addition of over watering it. The olive colored patches did not have a good root base and i could pull it up. I stopped watering it and with in two weeks the weak rooted patches died. then I had large patches that I reseaded this spring. The heathly grass around the open patches have thick seeding schutes. The new grass is coming in slowly and the large schutes are over crowing the new grass. These schutes are alot larger that the little poa seed blossoms. I just want my grass blades back... will the large schutes go away? i cut them to three inches and they grow back

• kachinee
    16 years ago

A dumb question, but if I have Moonlight or Midnight KBG, are the seeds that is is producing viable? In other words, If I aerate before cutting the seed heads off can any of these seeds fill in and grow new KBG grass when they are cut off with a lawnmower?

• morpheuspa (6B/7A, E. PA)
    16 years ago

Boy am I observant. *ROLLING EYES*

Or it didn't seed before--which probably means you're doing something right!

Mine didn't seed out last year at all. This year, huge patches of it are going to seed. Unattractive, yes, but at least it doesn't last long.