Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rock wall

Posted by HimynameisJoe none (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 11 at 21:52

I'm hoping someone can settle this dispute my wife and I are having. On our property we have a small hill (maybe 3 feet tall?) that has a sort of rock wall on the side of it (big rocks piled on top of each other, 3 rocks high) that now has a lot of weeds growing between the rocks and all around it.

I want to pull all of the weeds and place mulch around the rocks to help prevent weed growth in the future, I think it will make the rocks look nice without so many weeds everywhere.

However she is insisting the weeds are keeping the rocks together in a sense? I think she means without the vegetation the top rocks might wash away if it rains a lot, or the soil will erode and thus wash the rocks away. I was under the impression that rocks work just as well if not better than vegetation when it comes to erosion.

Any help please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rock wall

Ill see if I can meet you in the middle. The roots of the plants are kind of holding some dirt together but the rocks are holding the most.
I would not pull the weeds, leaving the roots to hold some dirt. I would spray them with roundup and kill them. This will leave the mesh of the root structure to hold some dirt.

Hows that for compromise?

o

I'm having trouble picturing this. Can you post a picture? Is the wall vertical and the weeds are growing our from between the vertical rocks?

o

I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded. It's not really a hill, I guess a better description would be the base of our property is flat but a few dozen feet in it starts to slope up towards our front door, but on the other side of this slope is the rest of our property that is level with the first few dozen feet. The highest part of this slope compared to the flat part of our property is about 3-4 feet high.

The rocks start out with only one rock at the base and ends up being three rocks stacked on top of one another towards the top. The weeds are growing out between the gaps in the rocks and also next to the top of the rocks and the bottom of the rocks where it is impossible to mow so I have to use a weed eater all of the time. I figure pulling all of the weeds from in between the rocks would make it look nice and removing the weeds/grass from the top and bottom and putting down mulch would make it easier to maintain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here