Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed Eater Suggestion?

Posted by eheneke Minnesota (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 22:18

Greetings,

We own a half acre of woods behind our home. Last summer, I spent a lot of time trying to keep the woods clear of nettles and thistles, pulling them by hand. This year, I'm going to attack the problem early by going through the woods routinely with a weed eater to keep them at bay.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good weed eater that can tolerate this type of work? I'd prefer something electric (cordless obviously) and without string but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed Eater Suggestion?

I use a Black and Decker battery powered string trimmer. I don't have a mower at this property, so I use it to mow about 1/2 acre. The battery lasts about 30 minutes and recharges quickly. Since I only "mow" in the evenings, after it goes dead I recharge it and resume mowing the following night. For that size area it is nightly exercise to keep up.

The reason I mow with the trimmer is I'm doing an experiment with tall grass. My city requires I mow to 12 inches. Before someone started complaining, my St Augustine grass was up to 32 inches tall in places. That seems to be the limit. Tall grass needs much less water. The roots are so deep that they can pull water from much deeper in the soil. I have an area of my lawn which has received only rainwater since October 2011. Since I live on the edge of the Texas desert in what appears to be continual drought, that is a long dry spell. That particular area is in full shade all day long. St Augustine is the only grass that will grow under that much shade. The tree above has a high canopy but not that high. The area gets only early morning sunlight and is in shade of the tree or house for the rest of the day. This year I watered one small area a couple times when I thought I could awaken the lawn early from winter dormancy. That did not work. The rest of the lawn has not been watered at all and looks great! Also I have not fertilized since Oct 2011. I expected the grass to become yellow, but it has not. Again, deeper roots bringing in nutrients from deeper in the soil.

o
RE: Weed Eater Suggestion?

Not electric, but I would look into the Stihl Kombi system and it's line of attachments. You can go from weedeater with string, to a weedeater with brush blade, hedge trimmers, edger, pole saw, leaf blower, the list goes on. I'm like you and have a lot of lawn and a lot of woods. I plan to purchase one later this year, just because I can have one piece of equipment with various attachments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here