Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaelrmcneill

Builder Sodded Bermuda Is Not Greening

michaelrmcneill
9 years ago

Hello Experts, I have a question about my neighbors yard, I'm helping her take care of it after a previous yard "professional" screwed her over. We live in a new construction neighborhood and our builder lays down Bermuda sod. Both our yards were sodded dormant this past winter and mine greened up after an application of Scott's Starter Fertilizer, but her's did not green up at all (possibly because her lawn guy didn't do anything to her's) and it now looks awful. We are finally getting the awful weeds she had under control (ryegrass and bluegrass covering 15-25% of her yard) but we are at a loss as to what to do for the non-green grass. We have been told to try applying something like a 16-4-8 slow-release fertilizer, but we are worried that it will be a waste of $50+ dollars. I've read that brown bermuda is dormant and grey bermuda is dead, and this is definitely brown bermuda. We are watering irregularly, giving it about 1" of water a week, so no daily watering or anything that would allow disease to take over. I'm just at a loss of what to do and was hoping that you could advise us as to what is the best course of action to get her a green yard!