Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I fix this area after applying Scott's?

Posted by jhawker23 10 (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 22:37

I appreciate any help with this... This area held a lot of snow this past year. I applied Scott's Step 1 the end of April. Is there anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I fix this area after applying Scott's?

photo 2

o

Photo 3

o

Photo 3

o

Step one contains a pre-emergent which can impede grass seed germination for up to 120 days. Fall is the best time for successful seed establishment anyway, so wait until late summer/fall.

o

I have in the past spread a light covering of top soil (quarter inch) to the affected area and then apply seed. Over the seed I apply another light covering of top soil (1/8 inch) and then LIGHTLY rake the area. Water lightly daily using a mist to avoid washing away the seed.

I have done this a week after using a pre-emergent and had success.

o

Where do you live?

What kind of grass do you have?

It sounds like you are seeding in the spring. Try seeding in the fall. Spring seeding usually leads to dead grass by July. Then those bare spots are susceptible to crabgrass.

Also stop adding soil when you seed. I can see in the pictures your soil is mounded up higher than the sidewalk. Your landscape should all drain toward the front gutter. By adding soil you are damming the natural flow away from your house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here