Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjra_gw

Watering at night?

cjra
15 years ago

Everything I've read says you shouldn't water the lawn at night, due to the cooler air/moisture overnight.

However, as I was driving 100 miles across So. Texas between 7:30-9:30pm a few nights ago, I saw a bunch of grass farms being watered at that hour. So does this 'rule' not apply to warmer climates like So Texas?

Comments (8)

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

My understanding is you want to cut down on the time you grass spends wet/humid in heat. That encourages fungus and/or disease.

Around here watering in the heat of afternoons adds to that. Here I water in the early AM. Start about 2am. But, my climate is more like BP's. We have fairly low humidity and our nights cool off unlike most of Texas. Another advantage is that it can soak in before it evaporates and there is usually less wind.

I tried watering when I got home from work in the afternoons when it was hottest to "cool off" the grass. Here that led to problems with the grass being the wettest while there was lots of heat.

One other thing, I'm not sure the sod farms would be the best examples for homeowners. They are often much more proactive about things like fungus than homeowners are and may even put fungicide in the irrigation water.

All gardening is local and it very much depends on your climate as to what is the best time.

• auteck
    15 years ago

When I'm forced to water because mother nature does not provide, I too, water at night. But I have a pesticide company that sprays my lawn with fungiside durgint the summer months, so I don't worry too much.

• allison1888
    15 years ago

I also water at night, but will now beware of those humid nights. Morning is best, I think, but it's not always practical. Here's a link with some other ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: effective watering tips

• tommythegrassguy
    15 years ago

Water in the morning. Period. Buy an inexpensive timer to make it more convienient but watering in the morning is the best approach. Why? Watering in the morning minimizes water loss through evaporation. Watering in the morning allows the lawn to dry out-watering at night leaves the lawn wet and invites insects, fungi, and diseases. A watering during the day not only creates a situation where you lose a lot of water through evaporation, but you also cover the lawn with millions of water droplets that act like little lenses focusing the sun's rays on your plant leaves. My rule of thumb is to never "put the kids to bed wet" I always water in the morning and have a spectacular lawn to prove it is the best strategy!

• bpgreen
    15 years ago

Tommy--Watering at night in an arid area does not lead to insects, fungus or disease. It also allows the water to soak deeper into the soil, minimizing evaporation even more. The OP lives in Texas and most of Texas is pretty arid, so watering at night shouldn't pose a problem unless it is overdone.

The idea that watering during the day creates a bunch of magnifying glasses that burns the lawn has been debunked for quite some time.

• emma
    10 years ago

Our association waters at night and nothing anyone can say stops them. They ruined our roses, they had to be taken out. Our yards are full of fungus according to the chemical company that takes care of the grass and weeds. Watering at night we can't tell if the water is watering our siding or the grass. I looked at 3 AM and the water is hitting the side of my home and my neighbor's almost to the roof. The water is hard and turns the siding brown. Plants and grass do not burn when watered in the sun.

• dchall_san_antonio
    10 years ago

The closer you are to the coast the more likely you will have fungal issues. If you are farther than 100 miles from the gulf, you should be okay watering at night. But do watch the humidity, and don't water when it's raining.