Return to the Lawn Care Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tifgrand maintenance help needed

Posted by tsmith76 7/8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 22:48

Doing 25 pallets of grand and 10 of emerald zoysia. Currently have a husqvarna lawn tractor. Thinking of getting a pull behind 3 gang reel to mow lawns, but concerned about clippings.

Other option is to go tru cut. Any advice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tifgrand maintenance help needed

What is your concern about clippings? Leaving them? They should be left on/in the turf to replenish the nutrients it took to grow them. Grass clippings are supposed to be good for about 1 pound of nitrogen over the course of a season.

o

Yes, that is the concern, reading a lot about nit leaving clippings. Just not sure what others have done or experienced.

o

If there is anyone left who is still bagging clippings, they never write in here. Everybody is mulch mowing and leaving the clippings on the grass. The only people who bag clippings are professional mowers who have to prove to the owners that they mowed something. They also know all the tricks like using opaque bags and filling them with other yard waste. But for the average home owner, we don't bag. Mulch mowing has been the standard advice since before I joined the forums in 2002.

Some people fear recycling weed seeds, but I don't. My grass is so dense that big seeds like Dandelion never hit bare soil. Any tiny seeds like bermuda or even nutsedge might wiggle down to the soil but the grass is too tall an dense to admit enough sunlight to any new seedlings that might sprout.

o
any experience with gang reels

I'm guessing I'm going to have around 14-15,000 sq feet of grass (20 pallets of tifgrand and 10 of emerald zoysia). I was going to purchase a 3 gang reel to pull behind my mower. wasn't sure if that was overkill. I have a husqvarna 48 inch rotary lawn tractor, but I know it's not a good fit.

I was thinking even a 27 inch tru-cut, etc. was going to take a long time to cut the grass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Lawn Care Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here